Need Some Buttercream Help!!!

Decorating By Melody25 Updated 18 Mar 2008 , 4:04pm by Melody25

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:49am
post #1 of 14

I just received a brand new Cherry Red Kitchen Aid for Easter from my DH. I'm so excited that I have this to use now instead of a hand mixer. My question is...

#1) How many batches of Buttercream can you make in a 4.5 quart mixer bowl? Will that hold 2 batches or just one at a time?

#2) How many batches of butter cream do you need to completely cover and decorate a 6,9,12 (4 inch rounds) tiered cake. I'm making my moms birthday cake and we're expecting about 70 people (It's her 60th). I figure 3.5 or 4. Does that sound right?

TIA!

13 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:59am
post #2 of 14

Congratulations. thumbs_up.gif

How many batches your KA will hold depends on the yield of the recipe/s you use. icon_smile.gif

Here are all four of Wilton's cake preparation and serving charts:

http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/index.cfm

To roughly determine how much b/c you'll need for your cakes look at the far right side of the charts.

It appears you would need at least 13-1/2 cups of frosting.

CakemanOH's (basic) brite white frosting makes 8 cups per batch:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2375-Brite-White-Buttercream-Icing.html

HTH

jukesbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jukesbox Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:15am
post #3 of 14

I can make a double batch of Wilton's buttercream recipe in my 4 1/2 quart KA. I'm saving for a 6 quart. Sometimes the 4 1/2 just isn't big enough and slops stuff all over the counter (I just hate it when that happens!).

FabSteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabSteph Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:56am
post #4 of 14

I have made up to 3 batches in my mixer, it's a Heavy Duty one, I think it's 6qt. Have Fun! icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:20am
post #5 of 14

i just wanna say congrats on getting a KA! you're on the list of people i envy now LOL enjoy it!

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:44am
post #6 of 14

Welcome to the KA Klub...wishing you both many fun years together! Cheers

anellos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anellos Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:55am
post #7 of 14

I can make 2 batches of CakemanOH's (basic) brite white frosting in my 4.5 kitchen aid.

HTH

biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 7:09am
post #8 of 14

I make FOUR batches of a recipe equivalent to wilton's in my 4.5 quart KA. check out the thread called "sugarshack's buttercream tips" or something like that...she talks about how you want to completely fill your mixer, over the top of the paddle, to eliminate air bubbles, and even though her recipe fills a 5 quart (i think) there are posts on that thread from people who've adapted it for a 4.5 quart. but basically i'm using 4 cups of shortening + 4 pounds of powdered sugar, which is equivalent to 4 of wilton's recipe (1 cup shortening/butter + 1 pound PS). plus however much liquid/flavoring you need to add to that (i never measure, just eyeball it icon_rolleyes.gif ).

now four batches definitely fills it to the brim and can make a mess. i'm planning to get a pouring shield since my mixer (just got it for christmas) didn't come with one, i think that'll help. right now i'm usually standing there with a towel wrapped around the top until the powdered sugar is incorporated and quits trying to jump over the sides of the bowl. but it's worth it!! once i started filling it all the way up i'm getting the smoothest and most perfect buttercream ever. a billion times better than i ever got with a hand mixer, that's for sure. so congrats on the new acquisition. you're going to love it!

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:29pm
post #9 of 14

Congrats to you!!! I know exactly how you feel I purchased mine off ebay (only $94. including shipping)for a Christmas present for...MEEEE!!! An absolutley love it; it makes all the difference in the world. Enjoy!!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:43pm
post #10 of 14

you got yours off ebay? now you're on my list too! i cannot afford it!!!! icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:48pm
post #11 of 14

I made Sugar Shack's recipe also and it fills it to the brim. I have the shield and it definitely helps. Think I'll use the shield AND a towel next time.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:58pm
post #12 of 14

I use Sugar Shacks' recipe as noted on the flyleaf of her DVD...subtracting 1 c shortening and 1 c Pwd sugar makes it fit my 4. 5 qt KA exactly as she describes...over the paddle so as to incorp as little air as possible.

I have a pouring shield too...it helps, but I still need a damp cloth for clean up!

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:00pm
post #13 of 14

cupcakeshoppe-look around your house and sell some stuff you don't want until you get alittle money in your paypal and then start lookin around for a mixer. Its easier then you would thinkicon_smile.gif

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:04pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks everyone. I will be using the High Humidity Buttercream recipe I got about this time last year from on here. My mom loves it. It's alot like Sugar Shacks but it has some other stuff in it. Maybe I'll go look up Sugar Shacks again and go from there. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%