Freeze Decorated Cookies?

Baking By kellygray79 Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 4:00pm by Yomomma

kellygray79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellygray79 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:46am
post #1 of 10

Can you make batches of sugar cookies, decorate with royal icing and then freeze the cookies? How long can you freeze the cookies before the quality of the cookie suffers? What will the icing do as it thaws? I really would appreciate any information y'all can give! Thanks!

9 replies
mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 10:52am
post #2 of 10

I do freeze my NFSC that are decorated with Antonias RI and they taste great after they thaw! I layer them between wax paper after they are completely dry in a tupperware container and when I need them I just leave the container on the counter to thaw. Don't open it or remove them before they are thaw; the condensation goes to the paper.

HTH,

Kim

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 11:14am
post #3 of 10

Mgigglin:
Are your thawed cookies for sale?

mgigglin Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 11:35am
post #4 of 10

I just mailed some to Iowa I'm sure they can be mailed directly to you icon_lol.gif

Yes, I do sell these most with my birthday and shower cakes. And I usually make a ton so I have to freeze them! icon_biggrin.gif

Kim

Omicake Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 11:57am
post #5 of 10

LOL!!!My poor English makes me sound stupid sometimes because I can't find the correct way to express my thoughts. I was wondering if you had a large order for cookies you could bake, ice ,freeze in advance to make things easier.And you just answered that it can be done. Thanks.

mgigglin Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 10

I thought you just wanted some pure goodness omicake ! icon_lol.gif

I find that the cookies are a perfect soft texture after freezing. And I get tons of compliments on them!

Happy Baking,

Kim

Omicake Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 10

You are right.
Pure goodness as well !!! LOL !!!

kellygray79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellygray79 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 10

How long do they usually need to thaw for?

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:08am
post #9 of 10

I always freeze my Christmas cookies and they thaw beautifully and taste super fresh and delicious. They never last more than a couple weeks past the holidays so I can't comment on how long in the freezer they'll keep for. I usually layer mine with foil, just 'cause that's what I've got laying around. I wonder if wax paper is cheaper.....they thaw rather quickly. Can't say for sure, though. An hour maybe, if they're not all stacked up on top of each other.

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 10

I ditto what mgigglin/kim said - they are a softer texture after freezing - which I like better than when "fresh".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%