I've Never Charged For Cupcake Before; Help?!

Business By kelsiedelizzle Updated 18 Mar 2008 , 1:21am by icer101

kelsiedelizzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelsiedelizzle Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:42am
post #1 of 8

If anyone could help me with this I would appreciate it:

I'm making cupcakes for my brother's class and the room mother offered to pay me for the 20 cupcakes. This caught me by surprise as I was just planning on giving them to the class.

Do you think I should charge anything? I'm not really sure myself. Also, how much per cupcake, if I do charge for them? I was just going to decorate them very simply. And if it helps, I've only charged for 2 other cakes ever before.

Thank you in advance very much!!

7 replies
Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:52am
post #2 of 8

For a basic cupcake with a swirl of buttercream, I charge $1.50. Anything else, such as a filling or special doo-dads on the top, are extra. You have to consider the market that you are in, though. Here in NC, the Wal-Mart will sell cupcakes with a swirl for 50-60 cents each. (But I know they aren't as good as mine are!) Good luck with your pricing ~ it's always the hardest thing for me!

KittyPTerror Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyPTerror Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:59am
post #3 of 8

If you're doing it as a favor, you could always just offer to do it for the cost of ingredients, which wouldn't be too much for 20 cupcakes. A lot of times what I do, since I don't sell cakes very often, is just calculate expense and then guess how long it will take me and tack on $10/hr for my time. Usually I just calculate time spent decorating, not baking and cooling and all that stuff. Most of the cakes I sell are to family/friends, anyway. So, if I were charging for 20 cupcakes, I would figure out my cost- let's say $12 for ingredients, and then for a very simple design, it'd probably take me about an hour and a half (including mixing, making icing, coloring, swirling, and clean-up), so I'd charge around about $27.

Ro40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ro40 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:03am
post #4 of 8

When I started out, I just charged what it costs me for the supplies (ingredients, cupcake liners, etc.) This helped get my name out there and got me referrals. I now am a full fledged business and charge $1.50 for my cupcakes. The decorations on top are extra. Good Luck.

jterrill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jterrill Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:07am
post #5 of 8

I would do it for free. A little service never hurts!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:09am
post #6 of 8

I'd charge $60 for 20 cupcakes ($80 if they were filled). It's the same as a servings of cake so they are priced accordingly.

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:20am
post #7 of 8

I think you should go with your first instinct and just give them the cupcakes for free! It's not that much money and it could get you more business.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:21am
post #8 of 8

i made some last week for a friend of my daughters it was for her little boy to take to preschool for his birthday they were yellow cupcake with chocolate frosting i freehanded cut a little pirates sword from fondant for the decoration i charged her $1.50 per cupcake there were 18 she was very pleased i also made the pirates chest for his home party it was small i charged her $35.00 for that she was pleased hope this helps too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%