I Need Everyones Expert Opinion On This.......!!!

Decorating By suzted7 Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 12:31am by FromScratch

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:16am
post #1 of 33

This is a carved 11x15 BC chocolate cake. Gumpaste figures. I need to know from all the expert ladies (and gents) how much they would charge for this cake!!! I really really need to know soon! Thanks so much!!
LL
LL

32 replies
jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:19am
post #2 of 33

I would charge $50-60 for this cake. It looks like it's a double layer, so you can get away with charging more. Looks great!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:29am
post #3 of 33

Is this an 11X15, carved?

since this is carved and you have some fondant details I would probably charge $3 a serving and I would round it at about 5 servings so about $150.

Great cake BTW! REally cool!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:38am
post #4 of 33

I would do $135-$150

bethneebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethneebabe Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:39am
post #5 of 33

I don't now much about charging but that is an amazing cake. Great job!

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:46am
post #6 of 33

$100.00 - 125.00 at least. Great job.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:48am
post #7 of 33

awesome cake... minimum $75

step0nmi Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:48am
post #8 of 33

icon_lol.gif I meant 50 servings and then it would be $150 icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:04am
post #9 of 33

Well.. is this a paid cake? Did you not discuss price before you made the cake if it is a paid cake?

If this is a double layer 11x15 that will serve 75 (before you carved it).. base price for me would be $4/serving.. so that's $300.00 and I'd tack on extra for the cute little buildings and mountain and stuff.

Price is something that you must work out before you make the cake though.

suzted7 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:13am
post #10 of 33

Well, this is a cake I'm doing for a co-worker and friend of my husbands. It's his wifes birthday and since I brought in a couple of my cakes and cupcakes to their work, he wondered if I wouldn't mind doing one for him. Price has not been discussed as of yet. When I bring it in tomorrow at lunch time, I need to know what to charge. This would be my first paid cake and he's a friend of my husbands so I don't want to charge over the top. Again, because it's my first. What do ya'll think?

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:38am
post #11 of 33

Oh. Ow.

Um, did he offer to pay or was payment/compensation of any sort brought up at any time? Cause he may be thinking it's a free cake or that you will charge him the "Wal-Mart" price.

How much did it cost you to make the cake?

step0nmi Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:11am
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

Oh. Ow.

Um, did he offer to pay or was payment/compensation of any sort brought up at any time? Cause he may be thinking it's a free cake or that you will charge him the "Wal-Mart" price.

How much did it cost you to make the cake?

this is EXACTLY what I was thinking! I never go through with making a cake before I get a price approved and they give a deposit!

suzted7 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:17am
post #13 of 33

Now I DID tell him over the phone when he was giving me the details on what he wanted that this was NOT going to be a Walmart cake. He said he knew that. Well, we shall see tomorrow what happens...... icon_razz.gif

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:19am
post #14 of 33

That looks great! Very impressive!! Because of the circumstances, I don't think you'll be able to get what you deserve out of it, but live and learn right? icon_wink.gif

FromScratch Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:23am
post #15 of 33

Be this a lesson to you.. (how pirate talk is that? icon_lol.gif ) never make a cake without getting the price worked out first.

Hopefully he will be okay with your price..

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:25am
post #16 of 33

I would say at least $150 for the size, carvings and details. However, since he was unaware of what the final price would be....I am thinking he might be shocked. What you can do is tell him that it normally would be $150 but you take a certain % off for a first time customer. This way it seems to him he is getting and deal and might be appreciative....but with that being said, he might not be thinking that it is getting well into the over $100 range....just my thoughts.....good luck!!!!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:30am
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwithana

I would say at least $150 for the size, carvings and details. However, since he was unaware of what the final price would be....I am thinking he might be shocked. What you can do is tell him that it normally would be $150 but you take a certain % off for a first time customer. This way it seems to him he is getting and deal and might be appreciative....but with that being said, he might not be thinking that it is getting well into the over $100 range....just my thoughts.....good luck!!!!

I totally agree - I would say about $150. BUT since he doesn't know...he's probably thinking maybe $40???

Good luck tomorrow!

What are you hoping to get for it?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:32am
post #18 of 33

Price and payment first ...then cake...I would go between $125 to $150 for a single layer
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:45am
post #19 of 33

This is a bad thing once you lower your price they all will want you to and if you do a favor they all will want you too, your between a rock and hard place, but i been there before. let us know how it goes.sorry I was no help...

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:11am
post #20 of 33

Nice job on the cake. Always always always have your price agreed upon before you bake. Good luck with this one. Next time you'll know.

suzted7 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:25am
post #21 of 33

Wow....ladies....thanks for all the responses. I guess I might end up chalking this up to a "lesson learned." Another one of my husbands co-workers ( I know him too) wants to know if I can make a bulldog cake for him.....Oh boy.......I JUST started making cakes........LOL! I will let everyone know what happens tomorrow. You know..it's not the total amount of the products I bought to make this....it was the friggin' labor that went into this! Jeez......this took me a looonng time to do! Plus all the details and such. Oh well...we'll see! Thanks again everyone! I don't think I can go in there and say, "Ok, that'll be $150." I just can't, darnit!!!!! We shall see............... icon_wink.gif

step0nmi Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:43am
post #22 of 33

I think you're right! You might have to go down to $50 dollars which is like...supplies! Make sure that you look at what your supplies cost you and add it up. See what you would be spending on those and times it by 3 or 4...that is for first time pricers only! I USE to do that...can't anymore. If you think the cake is going to take you a looong time to do...then you need to make sure you are at LEAST getting yourself $10 an hour! It doesn't matter whether you are a new decorator or someone that's been doing this a while. You are worth the money! It's your specialty!
Good luck tomorrow! Let us know what you decide and how it goes! icon_biggrin.gif

Marti1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marti1 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:29pm
post #23 of 33

Would you mind sharing how you did the lettering. Beautiful cake!

suzted7 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:37pm
post #24 of 33

Marti1, I just used the Wilton letters. It was a pain in the butt to get them on there. I messed up more than once let me tell you! LOL

FromScratch Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:37pm
post #25 of 33

The lettering looks like the Wilton letter presses.. you just press it into the buttercream/fondant and then trace over it with icing. HTH's icon_smile.gif

I am dying to find out what happened..

suzted7 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:02pm
post #26 of 33

jkalman....you and me both! The guy that asked me if I could do a bulldog cake......my husband told him all about this cake and he has a relative that does wedding cakes, and just by the description he said easily $100. Hasn't even seen the cake yet! Maybe he'll talk to the guy I did this cake for!!! LOL I can only hope! I have a feeling I may just "eat" this one! Har Har.....sorry..had to go there!!LOL

FromScratch Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:40pm
post #27 of 33

Goodness.. I hope he is expecting a small bulldog for $100.00. My carved cakes have a min 50 serving and they start at $5/serving. That's $250 before you even talk to me about a difficult design. Good luck with it all!!

suzted7 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:08pm
post #28 of 33

jkalman....no, no.....he meant $100 for the Maine cake!! As far as the bulldog cake...we'll see. Still have to talk details!

FromScratch Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:37pm
post #29 of 33

Ahhhhh I see.. well it's encouraging to know that he at least has an idea about what he's talking about. icon_lol.gif

Be sure to post as soon as you have details about this last cake.

FromScratch Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:10pm
post #30 of 33

Any updates on this??? I was thinking about you today so I thought I'd check in.. don't leave a sister hangin'.. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%