Chart For How Many Large Servings (Not Wedding Size)?

Decorating By Hawkette Updated 18 Mar 2008 , 1:20am by kakeladi

Hawkette Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:12am
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have a chart that shows how many large servings you can get from a variety of round size cakes? I'm making a birthday cake for a friend, and she wants the pieces cut larger than wedding size. Also, a picture of cutting guides would be helpful so I know how to get that number of pieces from each cake. TIA!

3 replies
JanH Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:22am
post #2 of 4

Wedding size serving is 1x2x4", while party serving size is 1-1/2x2x4.

You can make the wedding or party size servings 100% larger which would decrease the total sevings by 50% using the Wilton cake preparation and servings charts:

Link to indydebi's method of cutting clean cake slices:
(So much neater and easier than Wilton's method, and the yields are the same or slightly more.)

Hawkette Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:55am
post #3 of 4

Thanks, Jan! You are lightning fast at replies (and such as wealth of info). icon_smile.gif

I love indydebi. I just used her technique for the first time at a wedding last weekend. I had never seen the whole tutorial, though. Thanks for the great link!

kakeladi Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:20am
post #4 of 4

What does your friend consider a 'big' piece?
Bake a cake and cut a piece 2x2x2 and another 1x2x4. Which do you think is more cake?
Do you think a cupcake is a big serving?
If so a 2x2x2 cube of cake - the 'usual serving' from a sheet cake is MORE than a cupcake.
I'm sure you know a 'wedding' serving is 1x2x4.
The 2 sizes are the *exact* same amount of cake.
Cut yourself a piece of styro 1x2x4 and another one 2x2x2 so you can show customers.
If they want to serve bigger pieces then let them order a bigger cake. And you charge for the bigger size!

Quote by @%username% on %date%