Scooped Cookies Thread Lost...

Baking By wolfsonmom Updated 11 Mar 2011 , 9:48pm by modthyrth

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:36pm
post #61 of 67

I needed to resize the images to post them...
LL
LL
LL
LL

wolfsonmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfsonmom Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:20pm
post #62 of 67

Thanks, 7yyrt!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:22pm
post #63 of 67

Ok, while I have never tried one of the "original" cookies discussed here and have no idea what they tasted like - the whole idea intrigued me.

I have played around with shortbread cookies and such trying to find something that would hold the scoop shape and still taste good. I was not thrilled with anything that I tried... they were OK, but not as soft and tasty as I wanted.

So last night, I was experimenting with Snickerdoodle recipes. Every now and then I'll print up a few new recipes and bake them all for comparison always striving for the PERFECT cookie.

One such recipe intrigued me because it had nutmeg, so I decided to try it. The instructions did not say to flatten the cookies (as the other ones did), so I did not. I always follow the recipe exactly the first time and play with it later.

They never spread. They held the scoop shape so the first thing I thought was that they were going to be dry like the others... *sigh*

Much to my delight, they were NOT. Granted, I made these as snickerdoodles, but you can flavor them any way you like I'm sure and still get good results.

Here's the recipe:

1 2/3 c. AP Flour
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
3/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. butter (room temp)
1/3 c. sugar (+ 2 T. for rolling)
1 large egg
1 t. Vanilla
1 T. Cinnamon (for rolling)

Combine dry ingredients (not the cinnamon)
Cream butter & sugar
Add eggs and vanilla
Stir in dry ingredients until smooth
Scoop out balls (I used a medium scoop) and roll in cinnamon/sugar mixture
Bake 12 to 15 minutes

My yield was 14 cookies with this recipe using a medium sized scoop - and the cookies were delicious.

Just wanted to share because I knew there was great interest in finding a good recipe for this type of cookie.

If anyone tries them (and changes the flavor), let me know - I'd love to know how they turn out.

Cheers!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:44pm
post #64 of 67

Sounds yummy! I love Snickerdoodles with my morning cup of coffee. icon_smile.gif I've only made them with NFSC and they held up that way too. Yum!

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 5:16pm
post #65 of 67

This is an old thread, but the information was valuable to me, so I wanted to give my thanks and add my experiences.

Yesterday I threw a Neapolitan ice cream themed April Fool's day party (soon to debut on the TomKat blog). Everything on the dessert table looked like ice cream...but wasn't. Meringue soft serve ice cream cones, cake balls with miniature ice cream cones made of krumkake made to look like Drumsticks ice cream treats, and of course, cookies that look like scoops of ice cream.

After some experimentation, I found that the version I liked best was the NFSC recipe. I made them with a little extra flour (or cocoa powder for the chocolate) to create a really stiff dough, scooped them out, making sure to overfill the scoop a bit to get that nice lip on the bottom, and then froze the cookies. Once completely frozen, I baked them--just plopped the frozen cookies on the cookie sheet. That's what I do with normal cut out cookies to be sure they don't spread, and it worked gorgeously with these as well, even though they're substantially thicker than regular cutouts. Can't beat that all-butter flavor!

Thanks, everyone, for all the experimentation and advice in this thread. You made it possible!

peardream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peardream Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 5:32pm
post #66 of 67

I was suprised that there was new action on this topic!

modthyrth, did you find that the cookies tasted to floury? That's the issue I was having with these.

Thanks for posting your experiment~

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 9:48pm
post #67 of 67

I didn't have a problem with it tasting too floury, probably because it's sooo dry here in Phoenix that the amount of flour called for in the recipe was sufficient to take it to the super-dry-dough state. I usually have to pull back on the flour. And the chocolate just had added cocoa powder, so that wouldn't contribute to a floury taste.

I've had other cutout cookie recipes (notably my grandmother's favorite) that always did taste floury to me, but I've had good luck with the NFSC recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%