Cake Pictures

Decorating By jovigirl Updated 7 Jan 2007 , 4:01pm by jovigirl

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 2:58am
post #1 of 17

Hi Everyone!

Not too sure if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering if anyone would share with me how you display your cake pictures for family, friends & or clients to view your work.
I'm pretty new at all of this but have done a few cakes & have most of my pictures on my computer, I've seen someone on here use a certain program where you can change the background, but I don't remember the picture or the program. Anyway I was hoping to get some ideas as just printing a 4x6 & inserting in a photo abum seems a little boring icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks a bunch for sharing thumbs_up.gif

16 replies
jadaverdin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadaverdin Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:06am
post #2 of 17

I put all my cake pictures in a binder.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:08am
post #3 of 17

4 x 6's in a photo album may sound boring but it is portable. You can also let a client take it home and look at at thier liesure. I have several so I can leave one in my car so it is accessable at all times. I also have a family website that I post a lot of my favorites that I can refer a client who phones that would like a look at my work. I use the free websites Zoomshare offers.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:11am
post #4 of 17

I guess I am a little boring. I take pictures of all my cakes and have them in albums. For my wedding cakes, I have a folder that has several pictures of my cakes and grooms cakes that they can see my work. Along with it I have a copy of my price sheet with serving sizes and a contract for them to review. My business card is attached for them in case they need to contact me. So far it has worked pretty well. I got a signed contract today for a wedding that is in two weeks. icon_surprised.gif
Faye

jovigirl Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:27am
post #5 of 17

Thanks for the quick responces!!! My apologies, I did not want to imply that anyone was boring, I just thought MY idea was boring as I was picturing 4x6 pics in a plain white picture album like what they give you at wal-mart or you can buy at the dollar store. I really don't do this for a living other than the odd order here and there, most of my work is for family & friends. But I was hoping to display the pictures in a way so that whoever is looking at the picture is as wow'd by the presentation of the picture as they are by the cake in the picture icon_wink.gif Has anyone done scrapbooking with their pics? I'm not a scrapbooker but would cosider it for this icon_lol.gif

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:32am
post #6 of 17

I'm not a scrapbooker at all. Maybe you will get some good ideas. I am just not that creative. I wish I were though. icon_lol.gif
Faye

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:37am
post #7 of 17

I use Adobe Photo Shop Elements. I can delete my backgrounds so that the focus is on my cakes & cookies and I can also add my name to my pictures. You can purchase the software at Costco. It is kinda hard to learn and I'd love to take a class. My teenage daughter helped me with the basics of the program.
Jacqui

jovigirl Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:39am
post #8 of 17

Keep checking this post. Hopefully some good ideas will appear, I will post pics of what Ive done once completed icon_wink.gif
Maybe something will inspire you thumbs_up.gif

Thanks Jacqui! I will look into that program for sure thumbs_up.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:41am
post #9 of 17

I was just thinking about ways to display cake photos (not that I want any of mine in a book just yet) but for the future.

At work, a woman I work with had a book made of their travels and one recently of her wedding...it was less than $50 and is just beautiful...you can make it look just like a picture book with all your prices etc...I am attaching the link at the bottom of the post..

I am definitely going to this..I want to keep a journal on the decorating journey I have taken in my quest to make my son's wedding cake....the last page will be the wedding cake (of course, if it is a failure, I will scrap the idea icon_lol.gif )

reread...holy crow, I am long winded..will have to work on that...

http://www.photoworks.com/books/feature.jsp;jsessionid=EADC90E9947A2249D24F880DCB1F414E?cb=PW&svr=web30&guest=true

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:53am
post #10 of 17

I bought a photo album with a black background instead of white. I think it makes the pictures look nice.

jovigirl Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:56am
post #11 of 17

Well good luck to everyone who has wedding cakes coming up!

Jane, that is an awesome site! I bet your journal will be absoultely gorgeous once complete. Wow your own child's wedding cake that is a project I'm not too sure a lot of people can handle, not me that's for sure! Good Luck!

When displaying my work I want to emphisize that my baked goods are homemade so I think a rustic look may be a nice look, not too sure I'm making sense here, I guess I'm just not too sure how to achieve that rustic look yet icon_confused.gif

Tinascakes, we did that with our wedding pictures, It looks really nice icon_lol.gif

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 4:05am
post #12 of 17

I use a book and I sort of scrap book it. By that I mean I trim the edges with the fancy trimmer to round them.

Then I pace 2-3 pix on a page with a paper piece of paper I print out to have the name and price. I mat both the pix and the title on the same color (always black) and that is it.

I was going for "done" but not "overdone"

I will scan a page for you sunday if you like. Let me know..no trouble just too late today!

Julia

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 4:08am
post #13 of 17

maybe when you take the pics of your baking, you could have them displayed in pretty country/rustic looking willow and/or wicker baskets..some pretty cloth (not distracting from your baking though)

I also really like the idea of the black background that someone just posted...so you could use that as the background

Take a look around the web at various sites..maybe Martha's and see how they display food in a way that appeals to you....that might be a help as well.

jovigirl Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 4:08am
post #14 of 17

Tx Julia thumbs_up.gif That would be greatly appreciated. It sounds very professional, Take you time as this project will probably take me some time icon_rolleyes.gif

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 5:01am
post #15 of 17

Currently I have them in a small 'brag book' type of album. But I am working towards having a Portfolio done through Shutterfly.com I will mention (and I'm not trying to plug them or anything) but if you sign up for their frequent prints program you get a book with I think it's 20 pages for free! I print a lot of digital prints so this is a good deal for me, and their prices are good on the plan otherwise just about what everyone else charges. I'm just waiting to get enough good photos to put my book together. I've only been doing them 'officially' for a few months. The regular book runs $29.99 if I recall, and then so much per page after that ... sorry I don't remember what the exact cost was on those.

We did a 'scrapbook' coffee table book for our in laws as a thank you gift for our recent family trip that they paid mostly for. We had 50 + pages and spent right around $55/60 on it. We had a ton of photos in that one too. They've improved the books since just then (that was Sept.) and now you can do a 12 X 12 or a little 'brag' type book or a Portfolio album. I can't wait to order it. You select the page layout, add your comments, etc... Again, I don't really want to plug them or anything but I've never been so thrilled with a book as the one we got our in laws and they brag about it all the time. I'm excited that they updated their offerings and have these new styles. They're hardbound too! It looks like a book you bought off the shelf!

Ok, I've added my two cents worth! Thanks for letting me share!

- Paula

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:40pm
post #16 of 17

Paula, I love shutterflys books. When we go on vacation my daughter (she's an only child) brings a friend and I always have one of the smaller hard bound books done for her friend so that they can have memories of their vacation with us. That's a great idea for cake photos!
Jacqui

jovigirl Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 4:01pm
post #17 of 17

So many great ideas!!!! Thanks soo much everyone! I will have to do a few more different style cakes so I can put this all together thumbs_up.gif
I've also read before that people put theor pics on CD, I guess this is another good idea as well icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%