How Do I Make Thoes Wire With Beads Curling Off Sides Of Cak

Decorating By nesweetcake Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 1:30pm by nesweetcake

nesweetcake Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 10

I want to make thoes wires with the fondant balls, beads or stars on the ends of wires that you see sticking off the top and sides of cakes now. What gauge wire do you use and does anyone have any tips.THANKS.

9 replies
beachcakes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 10

I recently made a cake with stars for my son's cub scout dinner. You can buy pre-cut lengths of wire in the floral section at Michaels. The higher the gauge, the thinner the wire. I think I used maybe a 28 gauge? I don't have the wrapper. I carefully inserted the wire into fresh gumpaste and let it dry, then painted with lustre dust.

rrmom2boys Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 10

I would like to know this also. I was wondering, do you put the wire into the cake or put it on the outside? Wasn't sure if you have to get food safe wire?

Thanks

CakesByLJ Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrmom2boys

I would like to know this also. I was wondering, do you put the wire into the cake or put it on the outside? Wasn't sure if you have to get food safe wire?

Thanks

I use coffee stirrers (thin straws) to put into the cake, then insert the wire (s) in it.. I don't know of any food safe wire.

beachcakes Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 10

Yes, i used coffee stirrers also!

cakelady1978 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 10

I don't think you have to worry about the wire being food safe. And as for sparkles on the end, I use beads from bead stores because you can find some really light ones that won't weigh down the cake and pull the wires out.
icon_cool.gif

Arriva Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 10

Good post. I haven't tried this yet, but I love the effect.

jenjens Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 10

I am going to try this method for a cake this weekend. I'm off to Michael's!!

rrmom2boys Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 10

Like the coffee stirrer idea! I can't wait to try it on a cake. Just learning and love getting input from those that know. icon_smile.gif

nesweetcake Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for the ideas. Wondering if you use a wine bottle or what to form the curl and if you use beading tools and eye pins to get the dangles. Any more input. Will use the coffee stir idea to keep food. safe. Thanks for the great input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%