Cross Stitch Ideas?

Decorating By trulyscrumptious Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 1:00pm by trulyscrumptious

trulyscrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyscrumptious Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 13

Hey! Does anybody have any ideas for doing a cake with a cross stitch theme? It's for a Grandmother's 80th birthday at the end of the month and I've been putting off working on this because I'm just stumped! shhh.gif Now I've got to get moving! Its supposed to be a sheet cake (for 70 ish people) but I think I could work with her on that if a different shape would work better.
(The other thing they told me was that she likes doing handmade cards).
Anything you could sugest to make my brain cells spark would be much thanked!
~Truly

12 replies
HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 13

How about a sewing basket filled with cross stitch cloth, skeins of floss (cross stitch thread), needles in a pin cushion (I have one that I have used that looks like a strawberry), a partially finished cross stitch piece in a hoop. There is really a lot you could do with it!
HTH,
HeatherMari

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 13

I have this picture saved in my favorites, which I think is the best cross stitch cake I have ever seen.http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=863343

BCJean Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 13

I think I didn't do that right....here is the pic.
LL

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 13

I don't remember seeing that cake before, it is really beautiful.

If you post the link again I think it will work if you leave a space between your text and the link itself. I'd love to know who made the cake!

BCJean Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 13

OK I will try again to post a link to the cross stitch pic which I posted.
If this doesn't work, for those who have inquired, the CC member who did it is: Edibleart. I think it is perfect.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=863343

trulyscrumptious Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks BCJean! The photo came through perfect on the second post. It really is a fantastic cake. I can't imagine how long it took for her to do all that but it's very close to what was rumbling around at the back of my mind.

What I'm thinking of doing now is making a gumpaste card with a cross stitch birthday greeting then on the top of the cake doing some cross stich flowers. What kind of border would go with that do you think?
Comments anyone?

Thanks everybody for the help!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks, BCJean. I may have to cheat and actually find a cross stitch picture that I can make an edible image, but this is so pretty I'd like to find that photo.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:25am
post #9 of 13

BCJean...Thanks for posting that link ! I have never seen that cake,I also do cross stitch and that is beautiful ! I would love someone to make me a cake like that !

trulyscrumptious Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 13

Acck! icon_surprised.gif I just got an email from the girl and Grandma found out about the party yesterday! The big party is off but fortunatly all is not lost, they are going to have a small family dinner instead and still want me to do a cake for that. thumbs_up.gif
What I've proposed to her is that we do a 10'' round, regularly iced and then have a fondant piece layed over the whole of the top and done up to look like a cross stitch in a hoop. It would be finished off with an, in icing, cross stiched greeting and flower sprays.
What do you think? I hope she goes for it!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:35pm
post #11 of 13

That sounds like a real cute cake ! To bad they cant go ahead with the big partyanyway !

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:53pm
post #12 of 13

I'm picturing the 10" with the cross-stitched pattern in the hoop and it sounds AWESOME to me. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

trulyscrumptious Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:00pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks! I'll be sure to put one in my photos and post a copy here too!
Thank you so much for all the help! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%