I'm Going To Use A 2 Qt Pyrex Bowl For A Turtle Shell

Decorating By singsing Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 12:32pm by aly1275

singsing Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 8

has anyone used one for whatever and know does it hold a whole cake mix size batter or know how many cups of batter to use?

thanks

7 replies
jadak Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 8

I used one once and, if I remember correctly, it used a whole box of cake mix. I also put a flower nail in the center while it baked. HTH

singsing Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:50am
post #3 of 8

thank you, that is what I had assumed and I definatly planned on the nail! One of the many gems I've learned on CC.

aly1275 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 8

I am making the cake for my friends kid and I am new at this. I am a little leary about it/myself on making this cake. How do you make it and what is the flower nail for. I have made many other cakes for my daughter and everyone has loved them. I have never taken a lesson either so I am quite proud of myself also but I need help on this on. Does any one have any ideas for me.

singsing Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 8

Aly, are you making a turtle? I am not sure what you were saying you were making.

The flower nail in the middle (put upside down in middle of larger pans then pour in batter) Is to help the middle cook at the same time as the outside. Normally the outside of the cake cooks hotter, nearer the metal pan and heat source and the middle doesn't catch up till later and can only, then, expand upward, thus when making a cake the dome shape. Also the outside will be more dense while the middle will be fluffier. So having a metal heat source near the center helps. when you flip the cake over and out then the nail just slips out leaving only a small hole.

There are other methods too. I use wet paper towels or those pads you can buy to wrap around the outside to help slow the outside and cook on a lower temperature. I combine them for large cakes.

My neighbor is actually making the turtle cake for her son but all my neighbors know where to go for borrowing pans and help with cakes. So since the pyrex bowl is the shape of a turtle shell that is why I am using that. She was going to use cupcakes for the head and feet but I gave her an older pile of already green fondant she could use for something if she wanted like the feet or shell etc. (although I think she should make a purple turtle cause he loves purple and like a local restaurant called the purple turtle, only because of the name)

aly1275 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 8

Yes I am making a turtle cake for a little boy. He wants a sea turtle. I have never cooked in a pyrex bowl. Is it hard to do and does the cake turn out right. I have never used the flower nail nor have I ever heard of it. I have always just put the pan in the over and cut off the top to make the bottom even. I have not come up with any ideas for the head and feet but I do not want to do the cupcakes for them. If anyone has other ideas I would really appreciate them.

Thanks

singsing Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 8

Yes it will turn out alright in a pyrex bowl. I would cook it at 325 not 350, that will take longer. Since sea turtles have flippers and not feet I would maybe use fondant to shape the flippers. Perhaps you could use something like twinkies too if you are brave enough to eat them. lol.

You can buy premade fondant wilton is the cheapest and the nastiest, basically it's just for decoration, you can get it at some walmarts and most craft stores that also sell cake stuff. the fondant would also make a nice 'hard' shell but wouldn't be as good as buttercream.

you could also shape flippers by making an 8 inch cake and slicing off the rounded edges (making a square left over) then you have rounded on one side flat on the other side flippers. let it dry a bit before icing to minimized crumbs.

good luck!

aly1275 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:32pm
post #8 of 8

Thnank you very much for all of your help. I think I can do it now. I am not sure about the fondant though I have never used that and it does not taste very good either. I will let you know how I mak out thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%