Margarine Instead???

Baking By toleshed Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 2:52pm by toleshed

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 20

What will the difference be if I use margarine instead of butter in my nfsc?

19 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 20

you can sub margarine for butter, but it has to be a high fat type of margarine, the light spreads have too much water in them to bake properly

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 11:12am
post #3 of 20

I followed Indydebi's lead and switched to blue bonnet. I love it for the cookies and its a lot cheaper!

Kim

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 11:41am
post #4 of 20

I use margarine for everything and it always works fine. I use whatever margarine I have on hand. Never had any problems so far.

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 11:59am
post #5 of 20

When I've substituted margarine for butter, the cookies I've made turn out just a little softer. That was really the only difference I've noticed with sugar cookies (and NFSC in particular). My family prefers the NFSC with margarine over the ones with butter.

When I've substituted margarine in my favorite chocolate chip recipe, for some reason the cookie tops have a slight sheen to them and I've noticed a tiny bit of a (negative) difference in the tast of the cookies- but my family likes them just the same. And they do stay softer longer.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:00pm
post #6 of 20

I use Imperial and it works great !

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 20

I use Blue Bonnet for everthing except shortbread. It also tatse better in my cc cookies

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 20

I will keep this in mind, I was of the opinion you had to use butter-This is GREAT NEWS! THanks!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 20

I'm a die-hard Country Crock sticks girl! However, I do use butter in my sugar cookies and snickerdoodles! Margarine doesn't come close for those recipes! And, although I LOVE my buttercream with pure butter, it's too soft for me to work successfully with, so it's Country Crock in that too...and it still tastes great!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:22pm
post #10 of 20

I am a HUGE fan of Land o Lakes margarine! It tastes so close to their butter and is easily switched out for the real thing. I buy it whenever I can, it's not in all the stores so sometimes it's hard to find.

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:33pm
post #11 of 20

Along these same lines.....This probably isn't possible but I'll ask anyways. If you're making swiss/french/itailan meringue buttercream...can you get away with margarine?? Doubtful but, thought it was worth asking.

TIA

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:37pm
post #12 of 20

I would say that the chemistry you get out of butter needed for the swiss style buttercream is why you would need to use it (the butter) only. I've seen Alton discuss this on his show. Fat ratio, etc.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:02pm
post #13 of 20

I use Imperial ... cheapest margarine on the shelf!

I must be the only kid that grew up poor because I swear to high heaven, NONE of the moms I knew would spend $3 for "butter" when the A&P brand of margarine was only 29 cents ... especially if it's "just some cookies" for a bunch of us snot-nosed kids! icon_lol.gif

Who are all of these people who swear by all that is holy that their mother ONLY used real butter and "the best" of everything ingredients for some cookies for a bunch of kids? icon_confused.gif

For my entire life, any time a recipe read "butter", to us, that meant to use "a yellow stick of fat" .... butter, margarine, whatever. And we always used the cheapest.

Cambo, my snickerdoodle cookie is my flagship cookie and the recipe I have calls for shortening! Next time we get together, let's do a cookie-trade and sample each other's snicks!!

toleshed Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:35pm
post #14 of 20

indydebi
you make me laugh. I can also remember when someone said "butter" it always truly meant margarine. We never had real butter in the house way back when.

cambo Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:00pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Cambo, my snickerdoodle cookie is my flagship cookie and the recipe I have calls for shortening! Next time we get together, let's do a cookie-trade and sample each other's snicks!!

Oh my.....let's! Can't wait!

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:00am
post #16 of 20

I didn't know margarine would make a softer cookie. That is interesting.

cambo Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:27pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by doleta

I didn't know margarine would make a softer cookie. That is interesting.

Yes, I agree with the poster of this statement! I always get softer/chewier cookies when I bake with margarine! When I bake them with butter, while they're still initially soft, they seem to get harder quicker...and turn very crunchy!

toleshed Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:36pm
post #18 of 20

When you say they are soft, will they stay on a cookie stick?

cambo Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:51pm
post #19 of 20

Oh yes, they'll stay on a stick! I use margarine in my cookie recipe when I make cookie bouquets! They're just a little softer to bite into....at least in my experience!

toleshed Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:52pm
post #20 of 20

oh thats great! Thanks so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%