Is This One Of Those Hoax Emails??????

Decorating By sbcakes Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 4:54am by cadopo

craftermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftermom Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:14am
post #31 of 47

Are there bakers out there who actually do what these scam artists want? It sounds like it's a possibility; otherwise why do these people keep trying?? icon_surprised.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:24am
post #32 of 47

what are these scammers trying to acheive actually? they can't really be doing it for a cake. is this what leads up to all those other horror stories of people sending money orders/checks and then having them bounce?

in other words, if someone was actually naive enough to follow through with all of these scamming requests, what would the end result be?

(sorry, i've just never heard of the outcome of these things. that's actually a good thing though because people don't get fooled!)

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:36am
post #33 of 47

What happens is 1) they give u a credit card and (as stated in an above post) want you to charge the $600 delivery fee to the card number
2) you pay the delivery service the $600 cash
3) they have $600 and your cake both paid for by some unsuspecting sole's credit card

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:51am
post #34 of 47

oh ok. thanks for clarifying!

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:44am
post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Happy Marriage Life ???

April 1, 2008 ??? 2008.

RUN, FOREST, RUN!!!

Check the original date of this post! It's from last year! (or maybe even '07...)

Still good information, though thumbs_up.gif

\\

yes this is an older post, but it just happened to me yesterday, September 8, 2009. So it is still very current.

Beware everyone!

dimisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dimisa Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:35pm
post #36 of 47

I received this email on 9-16-09, and it is a huge scam. The scam part is after you respond back, the "client" sends an email detailing how they will be using a company with a refrigerated truck to pick up the cakes, but they want to send YOU their credit card number, you add on your fee, $950 to pay the shipping company, and then another $100 for your time to arrange this for them. You are more than likely getting a stolen credit card #, and I would assume you send the $950 to the "trucking" co and then find out it's a scam. I called the cops after I received the detailed email and they sent it to the FBI. I never thought you could scam a cake shop either, but apparently people are trying! At least those of us who know what we're doing won't fall for this. FYI- the scammer is also using names out of the obituary pages.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:06pm
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

OK I am probably going to get everyone mad with my scolding:

To everyone:
1) Do not, do not, do not answer these emails!! Not even once. If you do, you are considered a "live contact" and other scammers pay the first scammers for email addresses of "live contacts". Do your research and you will read all about this.

2) We bill people for our time, right? Our efforts, our time, etc... so why are some of you folks wasting your *precious* time even composing an email back to these scammers? Think carefully folks! Wouldn't you rather spend 5 extra minutes on a real customer or your families or sipping a coffee than fishing for a possible order that your gut instinct tells you is a scam?

3) In some of your examples, I see fraud written all over these from the first. Wake up call!:
a. refrigerated van for pickup.... hello? noone does this...
b. broken English. Almost always scammers from other countries.
c. no *immediate* contact information beyond an email address. I have never seen a real custome not provide even a first and last name and phone number before discussing price
d. speaking of price... who does this without discussing details. Always a scam if they offer $1500 + from the get-go without real real details.
e. offering $600 for shipping or delivery when they are sending someone to pickup?

Anyway.... please ladies and gents... do not respond to these types of things. Even if you are desperate for a big order. You are just perpetrating the need to hire these people for $.30 an hour in other countries like the Phillipines, Nigeria, Lesotho, thumbsdown.gif

I couldn't have said it better myself. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Hooray for you Loriana!

Don't waste your time emailing back someone you know is scamming you. Come on people, rise above!

mumsbakersdozen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumsbakersdozen Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:45pm
post #38 of 47

I GOT ONE FROM HIM TODAY...I POSTED ALL OF IT ON THE CAKE FORUM "NEED HELP"...WHAT DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT THIS PERSON...I'M WANTING TO STOP WHO EVER IS BEHIND THIS...

THANKS, MUMSBAKERSDOZEN/TERESA BEAUDRY/CUSTOM CRITTERS

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm
post #39 of 47

Last year while working with a friend who just opened a high end chocolate shop - she received a similar e-mail with all kinds of red flags (broken english, unusually large order and offer of excessive amount of extra $ for shipping). Thankfully, she showed me the e=mail before responding, but she still didn't believe me until I had several others persuade her not to respond. Often, this kinds of scams being with some very flattering words "I've seen your work and it is stunning" blah-blah-blah to kind of throw you off. Aside from getting the money from a stolen card, they often try sending you a (fraudulent) check covering all the shipping along with extra $ but "accidentally" sending too much. They then request you wire them the excess since they "trust you". They hope you will wire the money before finding out from your bank that the check they gave you is no good. Don't know that I've explained that too well, but the idea is to get YOUR money and of course no one is coming by to pick up that cake. Maybe the only way to stop these guys (yes, there is more than one) is not ever respond, but it makes you sooo mad!!

GipsyGourmet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GipsyGourmet Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:38pm
post #40 of 47

I received the exact same e-mail this morning, unfortunately I did reply requesting clarification of the order, I promptly received a reply with all of this shipping, handling, etc., my gut said no so I sent a reply back that my schedule would not accomodate this cake, now I wished I hadn't replied because now they have my e-mail address, yuk. Is there some type of legal ramifications to pursue here? Dumb in MS.

mumsbakersdozen Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:06pm
post #41 of 47

OK...I FOUND OUT YOU CAN GO MARK THEM AS SPAM...MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS ON MY WEB SITE...SO ANYONE CAN GET YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS...SO EVEN IF YOU REPLIED...GO BACK & MARK IT SPAM...I FORWARD A COPY TO MY SISTER IN LAW...SHE KNEW WHAT TO DO TO CHECK & SEE IF IT WAS HOAX...SHE EMAILED ME BACK THIS LINK...I MARKED THE ORIGINAL TWO EMAILS "SPAM"...THEN KEPT THE COPY SHE EMAILED BACK TO ME...WE JUST NEED TO KEEP OUR GUARD UP...I'M POSTING ON MY WEB SITE ABOUT THIS HOAX & TELLING EVERYONE THAT WANTS TO USE MY SERVICES WILL BE REQUESTED TO TALK TO ME...EMAILS ARE FINE BUT THEY NEED TO LEAVE ME A NUMBER FOR ME TO CALL THEM BACK...IF YOU CAN AFFORD AN INTERNET...YOU CAN AFFORD A PHONE...I JUST WOULD LOVE TO GET THESE PEOPLE...ALL I'M TRYING TO DO IS AN HONEST DAY'S WORK...GRRR!!!!!!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:30pm
post #42 of 47

I have been feeling guilty lately for not posting on this subject. I learned a couple of years back about this scam on CC. The words may vary but it's the same scam. No one that I'm aware of is going to e-mail you with exact infomation on a huge order without going over details on the phone or in person. I have received two in the past month. I usually just delete but the last one I replied that the date was booked. The e-mail would not go through.

The way I understand it, they send you a certified check or money order for an amount over what you quoted. They ask that you refund the difference. It is later you discover their check or money order was fake by then they have your money for the difference.

The first e-mail I received was an order for 200 individual cakes for the guest. The wedding was two hours away. When they quoted exactly what they wanted red flags were flying so I came on CC and asked about it.

Another flag is when the wedding is in a mater of a couple of weeks.

I hope this subject comes up once in a while for new members to be aware of this scam.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm
post #43 of 47

Opps, I went back to read the rest of the replies and noticed that I had already responded to this post. Didn't realize it was an old post. Still a good one to bring up from time to time.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsbakersdozen

I'M WANTING TO STOP WHO EVER IS BEHIND THIS...

THANKS, MUMSBAKERSDOZEN/TERESA BEAUDRY/CUSTOM CRITTERS

Good luck. No one's been able to stop the 419 scams and they've been around since the internet started. Seriously, don't put any effort into it. It just takes some common sense to recognize the hoaxes.

GipsyGourmet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GipsyGourmet Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #45 of 47

I agree it's a good post to bring up once in a while. The way I found about this post on CC -- I Googled the e-mail address from the person who sent me the e-mail and guess what, the address was posted all over CC under the forum topic "Is this a scam?," that caused me to go to CC and read the post and much to my amazement, the e-mail I received was identical to the e-mail that was posted on CC. Thanks CC for confirming what my gut was telling me!

mumsbakersdozen Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 9:29pm
post #46 of 47

THANKS EVERYONE...FOR ALL THE RESPONSE...JUST NEED TO PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO MY EMAIL...THE FIRST ONE HE SENT HAD NO REFERENCE ABOUT SHIPPING...JUST WANTED TO PICK UP BOXED CAKES...AFTER I REPLIED...I ONLY DELIVER...THAT'S WHEN ALL HE EMAILED ME THE OTHER STUFF...THEN I KNEW THAT SOMETHING WAS WRONG...

cadopo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadopo Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:54am
post #47 of 47

This is definitely not a ligid order. It sounds like a well-known Craigslist scam where people send you a money order, but when you deposit it they are somehow able to suck money out of your account. This jerk is so stupid that he emailed me a request of the same cake with the exact same specs. I didnt respond with anything other that we couldnt help because of the proximity to Thanksgiving. I didnt want the creep to change his name, b/c at least when you google his name you can find his scam out easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%