Colette's Cakes To Dream On

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 9:04pm by MacsMom

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone tell me if this book gives instructions for making any of the cakes? I have a good deal of knowledge, but have never actually done any cakes like these, but would love to "attempt" one to two. If there are instructions are they written strictly for the highly skilled professional, or can semi-novice decorators follow along? TIA.

6 replies
Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, she gives instructions and tells you what supplies are needed (even has some templates). Are they easy to follow? Depends on the user I guess. For me, I need explicit, detailed instructions and I'm more of a visual/hands-on learner. Reading about it frustrates me. icon_lol.gif

But they are there and if you have a good working knowledge of decorating, you could surely pull some of them off.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 7

Great. Thank you.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 7

IMO her instructions are a bit vague (not for beginners like me). I can muddle through and get close to what she shows but with my limited experience it's sometimes a struggle.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 7

I agree Tiggy, not for beginners. That's probably why I put it down when I first got it...I was so new and was so overwhelmed. They are there but not too detailed. I understand why they wouldn't be too detailed too.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 7

I found the instructions to be just what I needed. I also have a friend here locally who took her class when this book was released and can help me if I don't 'quite' get it.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 7

Instructions are kind of vague, I agree. I also thought I could find simpler ways to do some of the things she described.

I love the book for the photos, which is really all I found I need. If you need help constructing a certain shape and stacking, CC is the best place for info. Once I get the consruction of a cake down, I use photos for ideas.

I prefer Lindy Smith's method for topsy-turvy, though. Colette uses a styrofoam wedge and CC's tutorial has you cut out a hole for a flat spot. Lindy simply stacks the tiers atop one another as you would for a regular stacked cake and then hammers a dowel or two all the way through all tiers (cardboard or foam core circles). Much easier than the other two methods - I did it with my pink DJ cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%