Colette Peter's White Cake Recipe (Long)

Decorating By apclassicwed Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 5:56pm by apclassicwed

apclassicwed Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 3

I made Colette's White Cake on Friday for a Saturday Baby shower. I was very nervous about this cake, since it was the very first time I'd ever made a white cake (after 20 + years of baking!). My question about the recipe is how to convert the ounces for the flour and sugar into cups. Thanks for your help!

For this first time, I used a food scale and weighed the ingredients, but I would prefer to measure them. The cake turned out wonderfully, it's a dense cake, and because I used only cake flour, a very tender crumb/texture. I would also recommend decreasing the sugar a little and adding an extra 1/2 cup milk (I used buttermilk for the extra milk)

Colette's White Cake (as posted on Food Network Site)

9 ounces each all-purpose and cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, room temp
21 ounces sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup egg whites, room temp
1 & 1/2 cups milk, room temp

Pre heat oven to 325. Grease and flour 2 (8 or 9) inch round pans.
Sift together the flours and baking powder.
Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl until fluffy. Add the salt and vanilla, mix well. Add the eggs, scraping the sides of the bowl, and mix until light and fluffy. add the flour mixture in 3 batches alternating with ehe milk, mixing after each addition and ending with the flour. Mix just until combined. Do not over mix. Bake 30-35 minutes.

2 replies
chestercheeto Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 3

you will get more consistent results by weighing your ingredients, but if you want to measure, these are the conversions according to the Cake Bible.

for 1 cup,
cake flour
sifted, 3.5 oz
lightly spooned, 4 oz
dip and sweep, 4.5 oz

all-purpose flour  
sifted, 4 oz
lightly spooned, 4.25 oz
dip and sweep, 5 oz

granulated sugar, 7 oz

apclassicwed Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 3