Fondant Swags - I Just Can't Do It Right!

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 5:20pm by Relznik

beachcakes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 5

I have a heck of a time with fondant swags! Perhaps someone could take a look and tell me what i could do differenlty? I wanted to put fondant swags on a Communion cake. By the time I got them to the cake, the pleats were gone and as it was BC, I couldn't reposition without wrecking the BC. I'd like to do another one of these for my nephew and would appreciate any tips! Thanks!

4 replies
pianocat Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 5

There is a tutorial on cc homepage (bottom) that is pretty good. (Don't know if it answers your specific question.)

Relznik Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 5

If it's the communion cake in your photos, you've done a lovely job. Really is a beautiful cake.

However, fondant on its own won't pleat how you probably want it it. You need to add some modelling paste (gum paste?). It makes the fondant less likely to tear and rip.

Hope this helps.

beachcakes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 5

thanks pianocat - i'll check it out!
relznik, thank you. i had a tiny bit of tylose it in, probably not enough. i think part of the problem was i wanted the fondant to flow onto the cake board and i only had one shot to do it!

Relznik Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 5

Rather than just adding tylose, do you actually have modelling paste you can get? Or can you make pastillage and use that 50/50 with fondant.

Gather it up into a nice pleated piece, using both hands to get the gathers you want, then lay it down. You can always trim off a bit at the top and hide the cut with something! Also, if you cut it into a BIG egg shape, that helps get the gathers.

Suzanne x

Quote by @%username% on %date%