Contacted Hd O Start Business...

Business By Tomoore Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 11:09am by Tomoore

Tomoore Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 4

...I asked about the steps involved when renting kitche space. she said I'd need a (1)use and occupancy permit in my name, (2) a health permit in my name, and (3) and food handler's permit. She then asked if I would be making the cakes and decorating them, or purchasing the cakes and decorating them. When I told her I'd make and decorate, she said "Oh, then we consider that processing...". She went on to give me the name and number of an inspector to call directly later this afternoon. I asked her if the fact that I'm baking changes things a lot and she said "Oh yeah". Anyone know what I should expect during this conversation later today? (PG County, MD)

3 replies
Tomoore Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 4

So, I spoke with the health inspector this morning. As it turns out, the young lady I spoke with was wrong (see prior post). However, now we're going back and forth regarding whether or not I'd be considered Low Priority or High Priority. Though he was very nice, he failed to CLEARLY explain the difference between thes two. He kept giving scenarios that didn't provide me with the outline of both categories that I was hoping for. Does anyone know the answer? What would the health inspector look for to determine where my business falls?

luckemara Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 11:00am
post #3 of 4

Hi, I live in charles county md and I have spoken with the health dept about licensing and the guy there didnt seem to make a big deal out of the whole process. He said that there is a packet you have to fill out and then they will come and do an inspection in your name of the kitchen and once you have your food sanitation you should be good to go. I know of a lady who gives the sanitation classes two saturdays a month in waldorf, I believe I paid 225. Thats awesome that you found a kitchen. After searching all of my local churches, I havent found any luck. Congratualtions on really starting your business!

Tomoore Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 11:09am
post #4 of 4

Thanks, luckemara. This guy even said that I couldn't use churches and schools because of something to do with their use and occupancy permits.

He sent me a packet of info. I am going to sit down today and go through it in hopes of getting some of my questions answered. My main objective is to determine if I can be considered low priority, to save a bit of trouble, at least for starters. I'm sure I can change later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%