Making Chocolate Transfers

Decorating By oilili Updated 18 Mar 2008 , 8:36am by oilili

oilili Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 8

I have seen several cakes on this site with chocolate transfers for the drawings and characters.

Can anyone tell me how it is done or do you know any links where I can get the information from?

I've tried doing a search but nothing answered my question and when I go on Google I come accross anything about chocolate except the method of doing theses transfers.

is this similar to FBCT?

I have a Winnie cake coming up and would love to do the character using this method (I am assuming it's not too complicated to do).

Anyone can help?

7 replies
KHalstead Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 8

it's done exactlly like the fbct's only with chocolate...I keep my piping bags with chocolate on a heating pad and cover them with a kitchen towel while I'm working and it keeps all my chocolate at the perfect temp. so I can work for hours if I need to and not have to worry about my choc. clumping or having to remelt or anything.

oilili Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks but it is really hard for me to visualise this.

You start doing the outile first and then you fill it in with coloured chocolate?? How do you add colours? icon_eek.gif

dljc Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 8

This might help. Here is a tutorial from CC's own Kavingate. thumbs_up.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kavingate/sets/72157600064171751/with/1044670843/

Good luck,
Debbie

oilili Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the tutorial DLJC! I can see the principle of it now.

It seeme more complicated than FBCT because you need to keep the piping bag warm?
Also, i have never heard of oil colours icon_eek.gif ??
No idea where I will be able to get those from here.

lecrn Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilili

Thanks for the tutorial DLJC! I can see the principle of it now.

It seeme more complicated than FBCT because you need to keep the piping bag warm?
Also, i have never heard of oil colours icon_eek.gif ??
No idea where I will be able to get those from here.

I think that these are easier than buttercream transfers. If you can color, you can do these. After making your outline, make sure to let it dry before filling in. Make sure you do the details first. Do you have candy melts where you're from? I don't really like the Wilton brand. It seems to be thicker & harder to work with. If that's your only option, you can add a little shortening to make it thinner. You can either buy the candy melts already colored, or buy candy color to add to the white. Make sure the color is meant for candy b/c any amount of water will cause the choc. to seize. I've found that if you start your outline and pipe down, you can achieve better control. I use overhead projector sheet for mine, and it gives it a wonderful shine.
HTH

lecrn Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 8

Duplicate post.

oilili Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 8:36am
post #8 of 8

Thaks lecrn!

No I can't get candy melts in France the candy colours even worse !

But I think I came accross a British web site lately that sells them. i will have to do a search o Google to see if I can spot it again.

It is becoming a little clearer now!! icon_biggrin.gif
I am really looking forward to trying this out!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%