Covering The Top & Sides Of A Cake With Different Colors

Decorating By mlyoung_2 Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 12:19pm by MikeRowesHunny

mlyoung_2 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 11:59am
post #1 of 2

I am tring to cover the top of a cake green and the sides white with stripes. What is the easest way to do this? Do I cover the entire cake with white then put a thin layer of green on top, or do I cover the top green then put a strip of white on the sides? and if I use the strip of white on the sides will it stay up without support?

1 reply
MikeRowesHunny Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 2

You're using fondant? I would cut out a green panel for the top of the cake using the pan I baked the cake in as a guide for size and shape. Then gently smooth the edges of the green panel so they are flatter than the rest and put on top of the cake, smoothing right to the edge so the flattened edges slightly go over the sides. Then I would roll out a strip of white for the sides and cut a straight line on one length and one side. Use a thin layer of buttercream or jam on the sides to hold this panel in place and slightly wet the green edge with water. Then roll up your panel and unroll against the side of the cake whilst smoothing with your hand/smoother. Gently join the green and white seams. Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%