Suggestions, Ideas, Comments Needed

Lounge By nikki72905 Updated 18 Mar 2008 , 6:01am by nikki72905

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 9:43am
post #1 of 6

I need some help with a situation and how to handle/deal with it.

The situation is that where I work, as a home health aide, my client smokes - A LOT - Lately, I have been getting headaches every night (while at work) As soon as I take their dog for a walk in the morning my headache goes away. Tonight, I have a headache and my throat is killing me... However, I am not sure what all the sudden (the last few weeks) this has started happening... I have been working here 7 days a week for the last six months. I am not sure what to do, but I am tired of feeling like my head is going to pop off from these headaches.

This is a touchy situation for me because for one, jobs are really hard to find in my area, and 2 I like my client and his family, I just don't like how much he smokes (about 3 to 4 packs a day -- ) I have spoken to his live in LPN and she said that I should not feel bad if I feel I have to "move on" However, I will feel bad, because he is very picky and I know he likes me and that is actually why I work 7 days a week, because I feel bad and do not want his LPN to not have "time" off, because he told the company I work for that he did not want anyone else in and that they would cover for the days that I have off. Well, Now his LPN is not well, and that makes me feel badly as well to even ask for a day off... I would love to go to 5 days a week but I know that If I do that it will be difficult for the LPN, and all I would here is "we missed you the two days you were off" and that would make me feel incredibly bad as well.

My husband is upset, because he is on O2 and smokes and says that I should call the company I work for and tell them, so that all bases are covered if something happens, He also falls a sleep with cigarrettes, which I try to watch very closely but can't always - because they have me cleaning the house as well -- My husband thinks they are taking advantage of me.

I am just tired of feeling so badly (health wise) and I don't know what to do.

Thanks for listening!

It is great to have all of the CC family!

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 6

I'm guessing he is an older man and very set in his ways and quiting is not an option. Before my grandfather passed he was on oxigen and would still smoke (often while wearing the oxigen). He knew he was dying so he didn't really see the point in quiting.

As much as you like working with him, you do have to think of your health and what is good for you. Make the pros and cons list. Is it worth you having headaches all the time? Is it worth you feeling bad?

They will find someone else to do the job, and maybe he won't like them as much as you, but there will be someone else that can do the job that needs to be done.

The only other option I can think of, would be if the weather allows it to see if you can get him to smoke outside. (This is what we did with my grandfather when he lived with my parents.) But going outside you aren't cooped up with the smoke as much, and it may make him smokeless.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 6

Maybe it is time to put your own (and your family's) well being first and look for another job. Sorry if that seems blunt, but if the job and surroundings are making you sick you shouldn't stay there.

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 6

I think if like you said he likes to have you around and wouldn't want anyone else. Maybe if you spoke to him about how you are feeling you both might find a compromise that you can both live with. I like the idea of smoking outside, your health is important and you need to look after yours for your families sake.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 6

I pretty much agree with veejay.

1. Say something to him. If he really likes you that much, he would consider your wishes and do what he needs to keep you around. Smoking outside is a good idea.

2. No job is worth enduring physical pain and stress like that. Especially on a consistent basis like that.

3. I agree with your husband, sounds like they are really taking advantage. (you should not be cleaning the house unless it's part of your job description or you really want to help in that way)

4. You deserve time off as well and you have a family. 7 days a week is a lot. What about your own time off? It's your employer's responsibility to provide coverage, not yours. Don't stress yourself out over things like that. I know it's hard sometimes to say no or to not help others but you can't always put everyone's needs and problems on your shoulders without it eventually weighing you down. If you don't put yourself first on your own list, who will?

Good luck, I hope he complies with your wishes!

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:01am
post #6 of 6

My client is unable to go outside (which is part of the problem) but anyway - I am going to go to 6 days a week in April and then from there I will phase my way down to 5 days a week.

I talked to the company I work for today, and they told me to go outside if it starts to bother me, but if he is smoking that I need to be inside because he falls a sleep and his bed is flamable as well as the O2. These are the answers I expected from a company that only gives raises to its employees once every three years. My Husband wants me to find a new job, but we are thinking about moving and I do not want to make any descions until we figure out what we are going to do. I am also tired of look for jobs in this area, the last job I had, was so stressful that I almost had to be put on medication. I was laid off for six months before that because my company was downsized. So, I am going to work where I am for the time being, until we figure out what we are going to do, but In April (our schedules are done a month in advance) I am going to 6 days a week. Then DH and I will figure out what happens from there ... If we move it will be very soon.

Thanks for the support CC! It is great having Friends like all of you!

Thank you,
Nikki

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%