Communion Cake - Wheat?

Decorating By nisha_ru Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 1:30pm by beachcakes

nisha_ru Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:07am
post #1 of 4

I'm not very familiar with religious traditions, what does the wheat represent for first communion cake?
How would you recommends making the wheat on a sheet cake? The other decorations will be made with gum paste.
Thanks!

3 replies
Kahuna Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 11:52am
post #2 of 4

I'm not sure what it represents but I made wheat on the pumpkin patch cake in my photos. I rolled a snake of gumpaste and then snipped it with scissors to get the look of wheat. I picked it up from the world championship of baking which dh laughed at me for watching, they were doing it on bread icon_biggrin.gif hth

Sue

snowshoe1 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 4

To address your first question, I'm no expert, but if I recall from years of Catholic school, the church doctrine is communion wafers must have unleavened wheat in them (like the bread served at the Last Supper). This is why there is often wheat incorported into first communion celebration decorations.

beachcakes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 4

snowshoe1 is right about the wheat.

I just uploaded a First Communion cake this weekend that had wheat on it out of gumpaste. I made the stalk first then each triangular wheat bud? and attached. when it was dry, I painted with thinned ivory gel color.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1199376

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%