Freezing Cupcakes

Decorating By Sarsen Updated 18 Mar 2008 , 3:10am by CenterpieceSweets

Sarsen Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:50am
post #1 of 3

Hey, first off, sorry if i posted this in the wrong section. I didn't really think i could put it anywhere else.

But on to my question!

I am doing a small event of about 100 people. I want to do a couple things: Cupcakes, cookies, and a small treat.

I was wondering, i know for the cookies i can precut and freeze and bake right out of the freezer.

The treats need to be made a day or two ahead ,but they shoudln't be to hard.. just some homemade marshmallow squares with graham crackers and some chocolate ontop.

But here's my question, can i make the cupcakes ahead of time and freeze them? I have made many cakes and frozen them weeks in advance with no problems. But i have never baked cupcakes and frozen them ahead of time.

Does anyone have bad experiences doing this? I am going to be making chocolate fudge cupcakes(it is the grooms fudge cake recipe on with a chocolate ganache icing and a small garnish of chocolate plastic. I will do the ganache and chocolate plastic last of course and fresh.. but i'm curious about the cakes? Also how many cupcakes do you think i should make?

It is going to be an event with about 100 people in about 2 months. Is it to early to make the cupcakes now and freeze? If so what would be a good time to do them ahead so they still stay fresh... Sorry about all the questions.

Thank you!!

2 replies
JoAnnB Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:53am
post #2 of 3

Cupcakes don't hold up as well. they need to be carefully wrapped and sealed air tight. Personally, I don't freeze them longer that 2-3 weeks.

CenterpieceSweets Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:10am
post #3 of 3

yea no longer than 3 weeks and make sure they are sealed tight...let them thaw and taste one to make sure they are still good.. i would thaw night before...

Quote by @%username% on %date%