How To Get Job At A Bakery(A Good Bakery!)?

Business By GIAcakes Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 3:39pm by Curtsmin24

GIAcakes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:22am
post #1 of 6

I am wondering if bakeries hire self-taught cake decorators? I'm not talking Sam's, Target... bakeries. I mean the good ones that do awesome wedding cakes. Do they hire people who did not go to school for pastry chef? If they do hire, what things should a person be proficient in?

5 replies
bellatrixothersis Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 10:59am
post #2 of 6

Hi, I have two bakeries that have been advertising for help for several months. One wants real experience (they didn't care where it came from just as long as you can do the job/creative) the other just wanted someone to sell (evening and weekends). If you see an ad call and ask what they are looking for. I'm sure if you have pictures of your work it would help.

sweetlikepie Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 11:24am
post #3 of 6

I got hired at a real bakery and the only classes I've taken are the Wiltion classes at Michaels. Good luck on getting your job.

punkin712 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 6

I'm opening a bakery in a few weeks and would be happy to hire someone who was either self-taught or took some Wilton, community college, etc. decorating classes. However, I will expect all decorator/finisher applicants to show me a portfolio and complete a hands-on decorating "test" during the interview.

I don't expect everyone to have been taught by Colette and Toba just because I was.

mezzaluna Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 6

I have a bakery and the gal who works for me is self-taught (as am I).

She showed me pictures of her work and then worked a trial period.

She is creative and clever and fun to be around. She does need to work on her speed, and that is something I have talked to her about several times, so she is always conscious of it.

At this point in time I can't afford to hire her for more than 1-2 days a week, but hopefully in a year I can hire her full time.

Curtsmin24 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 6

I am glad that question was asked. I too was wondering the same thing. I have a lot of experience but I fail to take pictures so I would ask if I could do as punkin posted. It would be a breeze in that case. I guess it all depends on the bakery owner. I know that a few bakeries in my area they ask about schooling. WHen my mom lived in puerto rico she started out as a cashier and they slwly started teaching her until she knew her way around the bakery. On a personal note thats probably what I would do in case someone in the bakery can't make it to work do to illness or injury.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%