Where Do You Store Cookies While Icing Dries?

Baking By SueW Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 12:17am by SueW

SueW Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:54am
post #1 of 17

I have been doing a lot of NFSC lately with either Toba's glace or royal. I usually like to leave them on drying racks on the kitchen table so the ceiling fan above will help them dry. I am embarrassed to admit this but lately I am noticing pieces of dust on top of the icing icon_eek.gif as it dries. Maybe I am just not the brightest icon_lol.gif but I just thought they had to be exposed to air to dry faster. Does that make sense? Should I have them in tupperware as they dry over night? icon_confused.gif

16 replies
Confectionary2 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:04am
post #2 of 17

Have you checked the fan? Maybe a simple matter of wiping down the blades. I spent the best $80 ever about a year ago on a industrial size metal shelf at Lowe's. When I am doing cookies it is great for drying! It is also pretty easy to move/relocate!

indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:08am
post #3 of 17

If you have the space, a rolling baker's rack is invaluable!! They're on ebay all the time for $99 plus shipping. They hold 18x26 baking sheets ... about 12 or 15 of them. Vertical storage! Oh yeah, baby!! thumbs_up.gif

izzybee Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:13am
post #4 of 17

Totally, vertical storage is the way to go if you have the space.

cookiemookie Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 17

I keep mine on a card table in the family room in front of a fan. They are on wire racks.

My DH takes the fan apart and cleans it every time. I package them as soon as they are dry.

I would love to get my hands on a vertical rack. I guess it's time to start hinting! Birthday and Anniversary are coming. icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 17

Before I got my cabinet, I stored my cookies in the oven (I have 2). Make sure you put something over the oven controls so there are no disasters.

I arrange my cookies around the edge of plastic lined 16-inch round boards. I place the board on a turntable, then decorate. When done, I put 5 little plastic pizza box holders on the board. Ya know, those little 3-legged 'tables' that hold the lid off the top of the pizza. Then, I stack them up to 8 high. Be sure to stagger the positions of the 'tables' for stability.

KHalstead Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 17

I put mine on cooling racks that stack and just push em' to the corner of the counter....if I don't have a HUGE cookie order I just put them in a big sheet cake box and throw the lid on......there is still enough air around them to allow them to dry! Of course I don't do too many ALL royal iced cookies anymore........mostly chocolate or mmf with some royal accents.

MichelleM77 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 17

My dad built me a baker's rack that fits 18x26 bun pans. It cost about $20 to make. I couldn't afford a full-size baker's rack, but would love to have one! icon_smile.gif I just uploaded a picture into my photos http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1200277&done=1 (might take a while before it shows up) and I also posted about it before, but can't remember where. If I have to leave them out overnight, I put them in underbed storage boxes that I use just for cookies. I won't take the risk of something nibbling on them, you just never know. I love the idea of using the pizza box holder thingies! Hubby works at a friend's pizza shop on the weekend, might have to buy some and give them a try! Thanks for the idea DianeLM!

chqtpi Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 17

My grandfather built me a rack similair to the ones that are foldable that hold cookie sheets that are cooling...mine is made of wood and can not only hold cooling cookie sheets, but my cooling racks fit perfectly...it holds 4 cooling racks and i can also slide one underneath (so it rests on the table) to make it hold 5. It also has a handle on the top so that I can move it from the table to the counter if I need to, and it only takes up one cookie sheet worth of space icon_smile.gif if the whole thing is full it fits about 5-5 1/2 dozen...i'd be lost without it

disp4so Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 17

I use large size wardrobe boxes with holes cut in each corner. That way they are protected for the most part from the dust, but they still have air to dry.

I stack them vertical/horizontal/verticle/ etc.

I can usually get about 12 large cookies per box, I used them when I did my largest order of 130 cookies. Worked great.. I got my boxes at Uline.com

hope this helps

Sherri

cookieman Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:48pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If you have the space, a rolling baker's rack is invaluable!! They're on ebay all the time for $99 plus shipping. They hold 18x26 baking sheets ... about 12 or 15 of them. Vertical storage! Oh yeah, baby!! thumbs_up.gif

This is DEFINITELY the way to go. My MIL gave me one for my birthday when I had my business. Even though I am not in business now, I keep it in a walk in closet and use it every time I make cookies. In between, I use it for storage. I also have a clear plastic full cover that zips on all four sides to keep dirt and bad smells out and delicious, cookie aromas in!

moreCakePlz Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:50pm
post #12 of 17

I use the cardboard tops from paper cases. We go through tons of Xerox paper at work and I go around grabbing the boxes before they are thrown out. The top of the box is great for storing/transporting cookies. The box tops are shallow (3â) but very sturdy. I can stack 4 or 5 before it starts to get shaky.

Iâm also very cheap/frugal/green. I cut up the sides of the cardboard boxes and use them for cake rounds.

N2Cookies Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:01am
post #13 of 17

Along these same lines on a similar thread someone posted that they use the large pizza boxes and they work for them. They place the cookies in the box with the top open and when they dry they just stacked them up just like at the pizza parlor. HTH

Honeydukes Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 10:06am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

... I put 5 little plastic pizza box holders on the board. Ya know, those little 3-legged 'tables' that hold the lid off the top of the pizza. ...

I love this idea!!! Too many times I have smooshed my cookies. I am ordering pizza tomorrow for lunch and dinner! Just for the plastic thingies, of course! icon_wink.gif

DianeLM Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:11pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

I am ordering pizza tomorrow for lunch and dinner! Just for the plastic thingies, of course!

Hehehehe... at that rate, it'll take you a year to accumulate enough! Do what I did... walk into a pizza place and ask for some. I even got a cake order from the owner of the pizza place!

cookingfor5 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:13pm
post #16 of 17

I love all these ideas. I don't have the room for a storage rack right now. I have a massive counter and keep them on it over night and pack them up first thing in the morning. I get so nervous and may try the pizza boxes. They would take up less room for the day to day baking.

SueW Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:17am
post #17 of 17

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I never thought to check my fan icon_redface.gif After reading this I did and they don't look that bad icon_confused.gif Are these racks called anything special besides rolling bakers rack? Every time I "google" that I get the traditional bakers rack you'd put in your kitchen. Right now I have room for a rolling rack but after we move I may not icon_cry.gif Oh well live for the moment and I have room at the moment icon_wink.gif Where else can I find them besides Ebay?

Sue W

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%