Can I Bake In My New Oven?

Decorating By Penny7271 Updated 18 Mar 2008 , 2:47am by kathy164

Penny7271 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:19am
post #1 of 12

My oven caught on fire on Friday night. So we got a new one. It came today.

The directions say to allow at 30 minute "break in" time at 400 degrees. It says it might smell a little.

Well, it still smells. A lot! I've had it on twice now today. Once for 30 minutes; another time for an hour.

I need to bake some cupcakes for tomorrow.

If I start baking will they taste like that horrible smell?

Should I just try to get up really early tomorrow and do them then?

Thanks for any input you can share!

11 replies
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:27am
post #2 of 12

Does it smell like hot plastic? I'd say bake a practice batch or a cake for the family. Try that and see how it tastes. Sometimes it doesn't come through in the flavor, it's just a smell that your not used to. Then give it a chance to air out, and get some of your smells in it. If you have to bake the cupcakes tomorrow morn.

Good Luck.

darcat Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:28am
post #3 of 12

I'm not sure but I would suggest you call the manufacturer and ask. They usually have a 1 800 number they might still have some operators working depending on where they are located. Hope this helps

Penny7271 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:34am
post #4 of 12

It's the same smell as when you run the self-cleaning oven.

The directions say that it is normal...and I am sure that this is. I just hoped that it wouldn't last this long and hoped that I could bake tonight.

I'll run it for another 1/2 hour, then air it out again....maybe by then it will be ok.

In the meantime, maybe I'll start on the buttercream with Bailey's Irish Cream. I could use some Bailey's on ice at this point (my weekend started with my oven on's been a rough one!)

Thanks for your thoughts! I appreciate it!

Tona Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:34am
post #5 of 12

This is common for a new stove. Turn it on 400 for about 1 hour when it has cooled off leave the door of t he stove open all night should help get the odor out of the stove. Good luck

indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:23am
post #6 of 12

WHen I was a kid, it was called "burning off the new". Any new heating item ... stoves, irons, waffle irons, space heaters, etc..... had a "burning off the new" smell the first time or two. My first husband and I even experienced it when we installed a wood stove.

TheButterWench Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:49am
post #7 of 12

put a box of arm and hammer baking soda after it cools off.

It may help.

Penny7271 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:05am
post #8 of 12

Thanks so much!

For the last 1/2 hour I dropped the temp to about 200 and put a pan of water with some cinnamon, oranges and apples in it.

It's masking the smell well, and maybe helping to burn the rest of the it off. I know that it's just new oven smell - I just don't want it to make my cupcakes tasting funny!

I am finishing up my last batch of icing now. I'll just have to get up early tomorrow to finish the baking!

Thanks again

sugarshack Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:27am
post #9 of 12

my new ovens did that for quite a little while; scorched me eyes but I baked in them and we lived!! LOL

Penny7271 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 12

It still smelled this morning...but I baked anyway.
And everything came out just fine...WHEW!

I brought everything in to my husband's office for St. Patrick's Day and they loved them!

Thanks again for the help!

Penny7271 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 12

kathy164 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:47am
post #12 of 12

Glad everything worked out for you!! My new oven smelled funny for about a month. I thought it was never going to quit. I got it just before Thanksgiving. A full days cooking finally seemed to have done the trick. I only remember smelling turkey for the next few days!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%