Please Help Me With A Word World Cake For Dd.

Decorating By camcat Updated 18 Mar 2008 , 12:49am by tracey1970

camcat Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:21am
post #1 of 13

DD will be 5 on Thursday and we are having a Word World party. http://wordworld.com/

Since this is a new show, I can't find any ideas, so I'm relying on the expertise of you creative types! icon_biggrin.gif There will be about 15 total guests, so the cake doesn't need to be enormous. My skill level is late-beginner/early-intermediate and I'm comfortable with both MMF and buttercream. I'm just stumped for ideas. The plates are predominately lime green and we are using pink as an accent color.

So......got any great ideas?

12 replies
kellymarie Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:35am
post #2 of 13

oooh!! i love word world!!

I would probably make a round cake with grass green fondant, accent with simple cartoony flowers and such, and if you can, make a couple characters. On the top i would make her name out of fondant, word world style (block letters) ....

i am sooo excited for pictures!!!

Tona Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:41am
post #3 of 13

make some of the animals out of the words like the clip that was so cute. I love the idea.

claribelcakes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:44am
post #4 of 13

Hi, I looked on the site and it looks like they have some colouring pages on there, you can print them out and use them to do a Frozen Buttercream Transfer. That might be a cute idea. WorlWorld is awesome!!

Good Luck! Post the pics when you're done I would love to see them. icon_biggrin.gif

maimerbaker Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:04am
post #5 of 13

I am excited to see what you come up with...we are big fan's of Word World in our house. I know Target sells Word World merchandise, perhaps there is something there to inspire you. I also agree with the earlier post to make her name Word World style. Good luck! I can't wait to see your pictures.

tracey1970 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:23am
post #6 of 13

As the mom of a one and a half year old who is not really into any TV shows yet, I haven't even heard of this yet. As the head of the English Department at my school, I am now so glad that I have! What a great idea for a show. What channel is it on (I am in Canada, so I'm not even sure we get it up here)? Please post pics of the cake as I would love to see it. My daughter will definitely see this show if we can get it here. There may be a Word World cake in my future too!

xandra83 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:24am
post #7 of 13

I was thinking about doing a Word World cake for my son's 3rd birthday. I was going to do a cake and write on the side "CAKE" in the word world block letters and then maybe do a top tier that had "BIRTHDAY" on it for "birthday cake". I like the idea of havng his name on it in fondant with the lettes too. I would love to see some pics of the cake when you do it.

kellymarie Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:33am
post #8 of 13

hey tracy1970, i am a canadian too, and i think we get it on a few channels here. I am pretty sure it is on an ontario channel, TVO? kids cbc might have it too in the morning. Check the treehouse website, it might just be on there as well.

It really is a great show!

maurerba Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:45am
post #9 of 13

I would deff. make a FBCT!! I love transfers! My son watchs Word World everyday as he get ready for preschool. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Honeydukes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 10:25am
post #10 of 13

Do you sculpt? How about cutting the cake into the word cake?

Sort of like this. Except with the area above the letters cut out.
http://www.cakestoat.com/images/kim_cake.jpg

Sort of like this, but all in one piece.
http://www.hvnscreations.com/SculptedNumberGolfCakeHVN07.jpg

Decorate it in your colors just a like a traditional birthday cake.
http://www.giftmela.com/images/715_thumb.jpg

I hope this makes sense.

camcat Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:07pm
post #11 of 13

WOW......Thanks for all the great ideas! I don't have much confidence in my FBCT, so I'll have to save that one for another cake, but I love the idea and think it would make a cute WW cake!

kellymarie--My DD loves fondant (I haven't met a child who doesn't) and loves the whimsical cakes, so your ideas might work for us!

Honeydukes--Your ideas made perfect sense. In fact, there is a cake Word Thing on one of the episodes. A Word Thing is when they use the letters of the word to make the object, like making a cake out of C-A-K-E. I might be able to carve that since it's pretty simple. Would I place the carved word on top of the sheet cake, so it's lying flat (like the KIM cake in your links)--or make the carving the actual cake (more like the 25)? I wonder if I could make a small one sort of 3-D to put on top of the fondant-covered round cake?

What do you think of carving DD's name (CATIE) out of cake and standing it up on top of the green fondant round cake? I could make the letters block-style (sort of short and chunky) and use skewers to anchor them in the round cake. Or would that be an icing nightmare? Never mind, I just answered that question! Maybe I'll make the letters out of 1/2 fondant and 1/2 gumpaste.

OK....one more idea....I could cut the letters C-A-K-E out of fondant (with an x-acto knife) and attach them to the side of the round cake (sort of like pseudo-carving).

I need help with something else too. The kids will be decorating their own cookies. I will bake and assemble the cookies into ziploc bags and each bag will have a picture of a Word Friend and the letters to spell it (like Dog, Duck, Bear etc.). I'll be using crusting BC because I think it's easier for the kids to spread. What can they put these on for drying and transport home? It would need to be wide enough to hold 3-4 letter cookies (the Wilton alphabet cookie cutters). Any ideas? All I'm coming up with is a shirt box lined with tissue paper.

Honeydukes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by camcat

... I need help with something else too. The kids will be decorating their own cookies. I will bake and assemble the cookies into ziploc bags and each bag will have a picture of a Word Friend and the letters to spell it (like Dog, Duck, Bear etc.). I'll be using crusting BC because I think it's easier for the kids to spread. What can they put these on for drying and transport home? It would need to be wide enough to hold 3-4 letter cookies (the Wilton alphabet cookie cutters).

With really young kids I'd rather use the food markers. If you ice the cookies in either royal icing or Toba's glace they'd be able to draw and color on them with no problems. You could then package them in either baggies or cellophane bags. Much easier and less mess! Especially if you have lots of other things going on at the party.

BTW, the cookies will look better if you ice in paler colors (or white) that way the markers' colors will stand out. You could also outline the shapes for them in black. Sort of like an edible coloring page. HTH!

tracey1970 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:49am
post #13 of 13

Thanks kellymarie! I'll definitely have to check that out. I'll get more out of it than my daughter just now, but probably not for long!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%