Need Help With Black Icing!

Decorating By AmyShu Updated 18 Mar 2008 , 1:21pm by nesweetcake

AmyShu Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 3

I have my first wedding cake to do this weekend. The bride wants a black scroll-type design on white buttercream. Our only local cake shop won't do black because of the bleeding, so the customer called me! After reading several posts about using AmeriColor for black icing to keep it from bleeding, I ordered some and plan on trying it out tonight to see how it does. Here's my question...should I tint buttercream or royal icing for the black (using AmeriColor) . I didn't know which type of icing would work best as far as bleeding goes. If I use buttercream, can I add some piping gel to make it pipe more smoothly, or will that cause bleeding? Thanks in advance for everyone's help! I'm a little nervous since this is my first wedding cake!

2 replies
Lindakbh Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 3

I havenât done this before, so hopefully someone can answer who has. I would recommend experimenting with both to see which works better. Iâve heard that meringue powder in the icing helps to control bleeding, so maybe the royal would be better. I just made a cake with black fondant accents and they were against buttercream and did not bleed- I used a combination of black powdered coloring and Americolor gel.

Good luck! Iâd love to hear the results of your test.

nesweetcake Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 3

If I need much black icing, I always start with chocolate icing. Make a batch of chocolate buttercream (add unsweetened coco powder and a bit more liquid than your rececipe calls for) then color black. You don't need a much color and therefore cuts down on the color bleed. Try it out and see how it works for you. GOOD LUCK.

Quote by @%username% on %date%