How Do I Put This On A Cake?

Decorating By gracecakes Updated 16 Mar 2008 , 6:49pm by gracecakes

gracecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracecakes Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 12

what is the best way to put this on a 3 tier wedding cake? Bride wants the cake to match the invitations that she is ordering.
LL

11 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 12

You can do it with edible images..Is the fastest way..

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 12

either make a stencil and ice the pattern in....similar to this one

http://www.brides.com/images/editorial/2008_brides/Americascakes/00_main/010_primary.jpg

That should show a red and ivory cake

or

print it off on an edible image and apply to cake

similar to this

http://cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/11511/Be_mine_forever_Logo.JPG

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 12

If you're looking to just match the invitations rather than actually put the invitation on the cake, I'd probably try to find a stencil that matched the framing of the invitation. I'd stencil (airbrush) that onto the bottom and top tier. The middle tier, I'd leave white, but put their monogram on it in black. Black ribbon around the bottom of each tier/flowers on top would also be nice.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 12

Could you do a cream colored cake and pipe a similar pattern on to the three tiers? You could break it up by putting a plain black ribbon on the bottom edge of each of the tiers.

gracecakes Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 12

well I wanted to use the edible image but i don't have a printer and I just bought an airbrush that i haven't even used yet. So I guess I should try to find a stencil or create a stencil and then practice using my airbrush to airbrush it on. How would I make a stencil though? Do i blow up the image and cut it out, but with an exacto knife or I don't know? That red and white cake is awesome i saw it in a recent bridal magazine. wow, and its almost exactly the same.
I am tempted though to buy the printer since I just saw that post about it being only $60 bucks, but you have to buy a whole lot of other stuff and I am getting scared about the investment i am putting in vs. the actual business I am getting.

all4cake Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 12

If you plan on airbrushing, clear acetate is good...allows you to see where the pattern is going. If you plan on making the stencil to completely wrap around the cake, poster or cardstock works well..just secure the two ends with tape and spray away. These can also be used to apply the pattern with icing.

If you want a thicker icing pattern to be left, use "fun foam" to make your pattern...

gracecakes Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 12

Wow, you guys are amazing. Thank you. Things that i would think and obsess over for months trying to find answers I just got in literally 10 minutes. Thank you so much. All these ideas are perfect and will make my life easier.

all4cake Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 12

Before I got a printer for EIs, I used Edible markers on frosting sheets or wafer paper....just a thought.

If you happen to go with a stencil and use icing, use the same shape pan or dummy to make them in royal icing, then all you'd have to do is ice your cake and apply the pieces...AAAAAAAAAAAND... they can be made way in advance, dried, then stored....

Just make sure you surround the pan or dummy with waxed paper and grease super lightly or use parchment so you can remove the pieces easier when dried.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 12

I recently purchased a Canon ip4200 from canon.com for $80 and the ink from kopykake.com for $60. I love it!

Another option would be to use chocolate transfers. I have a great DVD from thecakewheel.com called Christines Fondant transfer designs that show how to do it. If you can't find that pattern you can get custom made transfers here at www.americanchocolatedesigns.com

gracecakes Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 6:49pm
post #12 of 12

All 4 Cake. You are my new favorite. Thank you again and again, these are specific and exact answers to my very general question. I am going to print this forum post in case CC crashes again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%