How To Apply Powder Color.....

Decorating By Texan68 Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 6:00am by Texas_Rose

Texan68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texan68 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 4

This may not be the correct forum for this, but I did post it in the non-cake forum as well.

I will be making sandwiches next week for my daughter's B-day. I have bought powder coloring because I want to cut the sandwiches up with a flower and butterfly cutter and then just sort of outline them both with the coloring. What is the best and quickest way to get apply the color to bread? Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

3 replies
Texan68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texan68 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan68

This may not be the correct forum for this, but I did post it in the non-cake forum as well.

I will be making sandwiches next week for my daughter's B-day. I have bought powder coloring because I want to cut the sandwiches up with a flower and butterfly cutter and then just sort of outline them both with the coloring. What is the best and quickest way to get apply the color to bread? Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

KNOCK, KNOCK,......Doesn't anyone know....... icon_confused.gif SOMEBODY......ANYBODY...... icon_confused.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:54am
post #3 of 4
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:00am
post #4 of 4

Maybe you could apply the color with a paintbrush that hadn't been used for any non-food purpose. However you do it, you'll probably want to check that the color won't transfer to little fingers or mouths (imagine little pink and purple fingerprints on your walls).

You can add colorings to bread dough. You could actually color your bread dough, roll it out and cut it into shapes, put a small amount of filling (one that will survive baking, like a pizza filling or cheese) onto a shape, moisten the edges, put an identical shape on top, and press around the edges with a fork to seal them, and then bake. If you have a bread machine, making your own dough and coloring it wouldn't be that hard. The only issue might be that some things just don't taste good in some colors...remember when they made blue and green catsups and that "fad" only lasted a few months because no one wanted to eat it that color? We usually tend to associate colored, shaped foods with sweet flavors.

You could also leave the sandwiches uncolored and then make matching ice cream sandwiches that you could use your color on. Just make sugar cookies, put ice cream in between, then roll the edges in colored sugar or sprinkles.

Another option would be to make a sub sandwich and then use toothpicks with butterflies or flowers attached to hold the slices together, if the party guests are old enough to know that they need to remove the toothpick from their food.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%