Mad Hatter Cake?

Decorating By emf7701 Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 9:13am by tonedna

emf7701 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:34pm
post #1 of 4

so what does one charge for one of these babies?

i have a bride who wants one as the centerpiece for her bridal table and then wants 18 6" cakes for the guest tables. i've already quoted her for the table cakes and she's fine with the price.... but how do you figure pricing for the mad hatter cake? do i still charge per serving even though it will be carved to get the look? she wants it to be more than two tiers, but that will give her way more cake than she needs... so i'm thinking maybe a dummy for the bottom tier.

any advice is greatly appreciated! TIA!

~erica

oh, one more question... she mentions decorating with fondant at the beginning of her email and then starts using the term "sugar icing"... is that the same thing as fondant? thanks!
LL

3 replies
SugarplumStudio Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 4

Fondant/sugar icing are interchangeable terms.

I charge 3x normal price for these kinds of cakes for a number of reasons. One, they are labor intensive. Two, I bake bigger and carve to get a true serving instead of baking to serving size then carving from that. Third, I can and people pay. LOL

I personally hate using styro dummies for these. I can never get the shape I want.

JulieB Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 8:54am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarplumStudio

Fondant/sugar icing are interchangeable terms.

I charge 3x normal price for these kinds of cakes for a number of reasons. One, they are labor intensive. Two, I bake bigger and carve to get a true serving instead of baking to serving size then carving from that. Third, I can and people pay. LOL

I personally hate using styro dummies for these. I can never get the shape I want.

Yep, and that is perhaps the best reason! LOL

tonedna Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 9:13am
post #4 of 4

I charge between 10 to 15 dollars per serving..Yes is carved but the cake you cut is flip so you really dont loose that much cake..They are very time consuming..
Edna
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%