Please Help Me Or This Summer Could Be A Disaster!!!!

Decorating By pasquerto Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 11:43am by indydebi

pasquerto Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 7:04am
post #1 of 10

So this summer is my first true "wedding season" and I am booked. I do have experience and all but I never learned the "proper" way to do things and have just made up my own ways. I need the experts! Here are some questions I have:
1-When you do a stacked cake is the a cardboard circle in between each tier? If so, we you dowel the whole structure do you just pound really hard to get it through?
2-When driving extended distances with a cake, do you have each tier in a box and then assemble there? If so, do you dowel at the table or is it not needed?
3-How far ahead do you start making your cakes
4-Do you usually provide the cake cutting tools or do they have them
5-If they want a stand do you charge them for that
6-If they say 125-150 people are coming, how many slices do you usually make

I KNOW i'm forgetting some others I had but please answer any you can! I owe all of you ladies so much!

9 replies
CeeTee Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 7:45am
post #2 of 10

Don't have answers, but I do have questions in return.

How have you been doing your wedding cakes so far, and why do you want to change the way you do them? You may already be doing them proper and not realize it.

How have you been transporting your tiered cakes so far? Have you had significant troubles?

Did you mention cake stands or serving tools during the consultation with your clients? If it's not in the contract, you don't provide them. You can rent them or purchase them for your clients though if you write it into the contract and charge them accordingly.

Your last question confuses me. If you don't know how big of a cake to make for 150 people, what size cake did you book for your client already?

pasquerto Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 10

for the last question, I was just generally refering to how many "extra" slices you would make. If they say 125-150 people may be coming do you allow for 125 slice, 150 slices or even more?
TIA

kakeladi Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 10

-When you do a stacked cake is the a cardboard circle in between each tier? If so, we you dowel the whole structure do you just pound really hard to get it through?

Of course there must be a cardboard circle between each *tier*. If there isn't what will hold the cake up? Dowels would just cut right thru the cake. There must be something to prevent that.

2-When driving extended distances with a cake, do you have each tier in a box and then assemble there? If so, do you dowel at the table or is it not needed?

You can do it what ever way you are most comfortable with. I transported many 4 tier cakes already assembled. Many other times I would stack the bottom 2 tiers and the top 2, then put those two stacks together once at the venue. If the cake is not completely assembled/stacked for transport then one does not need a center dowel.

3-How far ahead do you start making your cakes

Depending on how many weddings there were for that day, I might start baking a week ahead. But usually would start baking on Wed; fill & crumb on Thurs and finish on Fri.

4-Do you usually provide the cake cutting tools or do they have them

As CeeTee mentioned if it is not already writen into the contract they provide them. Be sure to mention this at the consult.

5-If they want a stand do you charge them for that

Some stands are part of displaying the cake. You charge a deposit the amount of replacing the stand, then when they return it to you within 3 days after the event they get that deposit back if it's not damaged. If you're talking about a platau...that's different. Cakes can be displayed w/o them. If you want to invest in them then you charge a deposit the same as mentioned before....replacement cost. And be *sure* you cash that check! Once they don't return it or it's damaged then the check probably won't be any good - the account closed. I always put that amount of money in an envelope attached to the contract so it's ready when they return the items - don't have to worry about having enough to pay them.

6-If they say 125-150 people are coming, how many slices do you usually make
It's up the the bride/family to decide if they want a cake for 119 or 130 or 150. You seldom can come up with the *exact* # they need. And you charge for every serving that cake design serves NOT for what they say. If the cake serve 152 then you charge for 152 not 125 or 150.
Generally I would 'round off' the amounticon_smile.gif If it comes to $187 then I'd charge $185 OR even $200 depending on how much of a pain they were to work with. hehehe.

pasquerto Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 10

ok that makes sense! If you are baking a week before does that mean you freeze for a couple of days or does that cake hold up for a week?? I just didn't want to not have enough cake at the weddings!

CeeTee Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasquerto

for the last question, I was just generally refering to how many "extra" slices you would make. If they say 125-150 people may be coming do you allow for 125 slice, 150 slices or even more?
TIA

Ahhhhh, ok, I understand now. Well, if it's left up to you it's always best to err on the side of caution and sell a cake that will feed 150+. But ask the client if they'd rather have no cake left over or have the possibility of having leftover cake. One can always send extra cake home with someone, but if you run out before everyone has a piece that looks bad.

indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

.... but if you run out before everyone has a piece that looks bad.

Yep! And they will NEVER tell all of their little friends how the guests took 2 or 3 pieces, or that they didn't plan properly and didn't order enough cake, or that they underestimated how people would actually show up ...... no, the story will be that THE CAKE LADY didnt' bring enough cake! and how THE CAKE LADY gypped them and cheated them! It will NEVER be their fault!! icon_twisted.gif

sweetneice Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:36am
post #8 of 10

save

CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:51am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Yep! And they will NEVER tell all of their little friends how the guests took 2 or 3 pieces, or that they didn't plan properly and didn't order enough cake, or that they underestimated how people would actually show up ...... no, the story will be that THE CAKE LADY didnt' bring enough cake! and how THE CAKE LADY gypped them and cheated them! It will NEVER be their fault!! icon_twisted.gif

LOL, you are right......so what do you do?

indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 11:43am
post #10 of 10

Since I cut 99% of my wedding cakes, I know how big to cut the pieces. I can tell at a glance how many people are in the room and I know how big or small I have to cut the pieces to have it come out perfect.

For D&R's (drop-n-run's), I leave the excel "drawing" I've done of the cake that shows the cake sizes and how many servings they should be able to get out of the cake, if they cut it right.

If they cut it wrong, it's not my problem. I've put it in writing how many pieces the tier will serve.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%