Is It Just Me?

Decorating By steplite Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 9:05am by JulieB

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:28am
post #1 of 9

Welcome back everyone! The new Crisco is making my buttercream taste like wax. As though you just put chap stick on your lips. I didn't notice this before.Is it just me? Has anyone used Ricks bettercream? if so, how did it work out for you? I'm just about ready to give up on Crisco.

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:37am
post #2 of 9

what's your ratio of crisco to sugar in your recipe?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:54am
post #3 of 9

Do you use salt in your recipe? Salt plays a chemical role in shortening-based buttercream, as it cuts the greasy feel from the palate, and it boosts the flavors of the extracts in addition to cutting down the 'raw' powdered sugar taste.

Sherri

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 11:27am
post #4 of 9

Here are two new Crisco b/c recipes that are very popular on CC:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-457743-.html
(indydebi's recipe.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4123-High-Humidity-Buttercream.html

I've not tried Rick's Special b/c:
(Although the whipping cream does sound wonderful.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-884-0-Ricks-Special-Buttercream-Frosting.html

However, I don't think this will crust (because of the additional fat in the whipping cream).

Eveything you ever wanted to know about hi-ratio shortening:
(Includes several recipes.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-219731-.html

HTH

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 9

I used the Wilton recipe. Then I started just using 2 cups of Crisco and a 1/4 cup butter. 8 cups powered sugar. Maybe I'm using too much Crisco. I use the sticks. Thanks Jan for that Site and the links. I didn't use salt. Maybe I should do that. I'm going to try Indi's recipe and I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks everyone.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 9

2.25 cups of fat to 8 cups (approx 2 lbs) of sugar is about 1 whole cup more of fat than I use in my recipe. I've had comments from folks who like my icing because it's doesnt' leave that film on the roof of your mouth.

I was searching for an icing suitable for a diebetic cake once. Found one that had over 2 cups of crisco to 2 lbs of sugar. When I tasted it, I almost gagged!! It was SO nasty! I realized that if this had been my first exposure to crisco-based BC icing, I would NEVER use a crisco-based recipe again.

It's probably why I don't like made-from-scratch cakes ... my only exposure has been from bakers who can't bake. Ergo I think "cakes made from scratch taste like crap". Likewise with folks who have a "bad" crisco icing recipe ... they think "icing made with crisco tastes like crap". Neither statement is true ... it's just the only exposure we've had. thumbs_up.gif

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 9

I know what you mean Indydebi, it's like kids when they are given broccoli. I hated it as a kid then my dad made it fried in butter and even though it's fattening it's delicious!! I have actually had good homemade and I use both box and homemade depending on how I feel that day. I have yet to find anyone that can tell the difference. The frosting too. The first time I made italian buttercream I thought it tasted too buttery and sweet so I added a little this and that and some hazlenut kahlua and a splash of grand marnier and it was the best buttercream I have ever tasted. It was chocolate. I did use ghirardelli, too. Whoever said baking isn't like cooking because you can't fix the mistakes was lying. ( I heard it somewhere on tv) I saved the frosting and my smart behind forgot to write it down. Ow well trial and error round 2 here I come. icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by steplite

I used the Wilton recipe. Then I started just using 2 cups of Crisco and a 1/4 cup butter. 8 cups powered sugar.

If you like the Wilton recipe, you'll need to add the salt. Make it with a cup of butter, a cup of shortening, and 2 pounds of powdered sugar. Add 1/8 tsp salt and the usual water or milk and extracts, and you'll have yourself a fine and dandy buttercream. It's your standard American buttercream.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 9:05am
post #9 of 9

Try some of the store brands. Let me tell you, I love Great Value, the stuff you get at Wal-Mart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%