So, About Backing Up The Db....

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 16 Mar 2008 , 4:17pm by Heath

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:24am
post #1 of 8

There are NO DB back ups from between Oct and this past week that you can use to repopulate the tables??

7 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 5:06am
post #2 of 8

Obviously I don't know the particulars of this crash, but my database expert husband said, "sometimes these things just happen". Like the yellow note at the top of the page says, it could have been much, much worse. I have no doubt at all that Jackie and Heath restored everything that was salvageable.

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 6:16am
post #3 of 8

Hi,

I am in the information technology field. I know what goes into restoring a database that crashed, I am sure people were up all day and night trying to restore it. I am sure no one is really telling the owners of the site how thankful they are for having such a great site. So many things can happen even to the back up. It happens, and I would like them to know that I appreciate it. Especially for this being a free site, not sure if anyone realized the amount of cost associated with servers and the maintenance costs. So bascially they are buying the servers and maintaining the database for nothing. That's pretty cool dont you think, I guess I have a bigger appreciation for it becuase I am in the industry. Dont be too upset, with the site, data can get corrupt too. Also dont forget, they were also doing a server upgrade, there are so many things that could go wrong with that as well. They were upgrading the server so that the site would be faster. Not sure if you noticed but the site was getting really slow and having a really slow response time as well, I am sure due to the amount of users, which tells you how much of an awesome site this is. So they were upgrading the server to get better performance. I hope that makes sense, and hopefully you wont be too upset.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 11:03am
post #4 of 8

fondantfrenzy, I couldn't have said it any better myself. icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 8

Yes, these things happen and yes, it could have been worse and yes, I am aware of the condition of the site before the server upgrade and yes, I know that the admins maintain it for free in their spare time. I understand how these things work. The site I maintained suffered DB corruption and I had to repopulate tables for hours on end to get the forums back (although we lost 3 days, because I only backed up every 3rd day). I asked the question because I'm surprised we've lost 5 months, and am curious about that.

cheflish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheflish Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 8

There have been many of us that have posted to this thread:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-579030-0-days0-orderasc-.html

to let Jackie and Heath know how much we love them!!!

Lish

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 8

I Know I spent 2 whole days with no CC cause they were trying to fix the problem..I think loosing some post is far better than loosing the whole website..
They are doing a great job!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Yes, these things happen and yes, it could have been worse and yes, I am aware of the condition of the site before the server upgrade and yes, I know that the admins maintain it for free in their spare time. I understand how these things work. The site I maintained suffered DB corruption and I had to repopulate tables for hours on end to get the forums back (although we lost 3 days, because I only backed up every 3rd day). I asked the question because I'm surprised we've lost 5 months, and am curious about that.

I am not going to get into all the dirty details of why October is the most recent recovery point. All I will say is that it was the result of a freakish "1 in a million" disasters (those are the words of our data center company). We back up the database every night, and if it were possible to recover those tables from a more recent point we would have.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%