My First Slider!! (Yes, It's A Long One!)

Decorating By indydebi Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 4:09am by trixe371

indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:11am
post #1 of 21

First let me say that I would have had NO idea on how to deal with this except other CC'er sharing their similar disaster and how they dealt with it.

I had my first cake "slider" today. The bottom tier .... the top layer slid off of the bottom. Here's the pic after I fixed it......

Story: I have a van full of food and a 4-tier cake, the 3 bottom tiers already assembled and doweled. I've put the cake on an 18x24 baking sheet for transport and placed it behind the passenger seat so I can keep an eye on it.

It's about a 35 min drive, but mostly highway so no biggy. Until I'm seconds away from my exit when suddenly traffic comes to a dead stop!! I mean SUDDENLY! I can't slam on my brakes, so I swerve into the breakdown lane and slowly come to a stop. Cake looks ok ... then.

We keep going. I keep checking the cake. Does that middle tier look like it's closer to the edge of the bottom tier? Hmmmm.... maybe not. Keep checking. Is the cake starting to bulge around the ribbon on the bottom tier? Could be .... but it looks ok.

Ok...finally pull into a bank lot when I see the bottom tier is definitely not aligned right anymore! I get out, open the side door of the van and the top layer of the bottom tier cake has slid about one inch out over the bottom layer!

Seeing that there is no way this bottom tier can be fixed to wedding-pretty, I just take my hands and push it back into place. THe top two tiers look ok. But there is no way I can set that bottom tier out.

Only because of CC'er sharing their fix, did I even have a clue on what I was going to do .... I am going to pull the bottom tier and set up a 3-tier cake. I'm going to refund them $200 (the approx value of the bottom tier), but it's still servable ... I'll cut it in the kitchen, so they are not losing any cake.

I get the cake into the kitchen area without anyone seeing it yet. I need to help my 2 crew members unload the van (loading and unloading is the worst job and I don't want to dump it on them). I see the bride's mom and give her the heads' up on the cake and what happened on the highway. I tell her what I'm going to do. She is fine with it.

We get it all unloaded, I get them started setting everything up and I head to the kitchen for cake repair .... Just as the groom wanders into the kitchen. I show him the cake and he's ok with the fix. BTW, they got married in January in Cancun so there is no wedding-day stress going on.

I get the cake set -up as a 3-tier when I spot the bride and call her over. Yes, she had heard about the cake ... but the first thing she said when she saw the 3-tier and the messed up bottom tier was "Oh how pretty!" She focused in on the 3-tier, not the disaster one.

Bottom line is that everything worked out fine, and I'm so thankful I had a wonderful bride and groom on this one! When they wrote the final balance check (I get final payment day of the event), mom brought me the check and said, "They did deduct the $200 like you said, but we also added a $200 tip for you and your workers.

I said, "Are you sure? I mean I messed up the cake!" icon_confused.gif

Mom said, "Everything was wonderful. Everyone is raving over the food and you have done a great job! I've heard nothing but wonderful things about the food and the cake. Yes, we're sure!"

While I'm sure the slamming on the brakes was a major contributing factor, as I was cutting this bottom tier (I mean the one that was SUPPOSE to be the bottom tier!), I think I had too much red-raspberry filling in it. It was just a little "more" than what I normally use and I think that may have also been a contributing factor.

My first slider ... thanks CC'ers for educating me on how to deal with this! Never could have saved it without you!!

20 replies
Lindakbh Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:53am
post #2 of 21

I'm glad it all worked out and thanks for sharing! I'm just getting into stacked cakes so appreciate that too.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 7:49am
post #3 of 21

wow! that's a generous tip and it's so cute about that little girl asking for more cake icon_smile.gif glad it worked out fine for you icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:13am
post #4 of 21

That is a sweet bride..god if all of them were like that!...

wgoat5 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 10:46am
post #5 of 21

I read the topic subject and I thought...NO it didn't happen to Debi!!!!! icon_sad.gif

But then I knew you would would come out ok!!!

Glad it all ended well!!!

spencersmom98 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 21

Good save! It's a beautiful cake! I have a quick question! How did you manage to slide the bottom tier out and place the top 3 tiers on the cake board, without messing up the top 3? I probably would have ruined the top 3 tiers, if I had tried to do that!

AJsGirl Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 21

indydebi, you are one of my cake idols. icon_cool.gif

Even though I'm sure it was no fun for you, I'm relieved to hear that it happens to the best of us. icon_smile.gif

Congrats on a good save. thumbs_up.gif

i_heart_pastry Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 21

Awesome save! And the couple giving you the $200 says everything about your cakes! Congrats!

indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:10pm
post #9 of 21
Originally Posted by spencersmom98

Good save! It's a beautiful cake! I have a quick question! How did you manage to slide the bottom tier out and place the top 3 tiers on the cake board, without messing up the top 3? I probably would have ruined the top 3 tiers, if I had tried to do that!

I lucked out in that I put the 12" base cake on the foil-covered board, then realized I had cut the board to the size of the cake (only had about 3/4" board showing all the way around the cake. So I cut another board much bigger and just sat the other one on top. So I had a "spare" board with me.

The cake was suppose to be a 12/10/8/6. I slipped the spatula under the 10" cake (and the board it was on) and just lifted it and the 8" off of the 12" (The 6" was not part of the assembled cake yet). when I cut-n-serve a wedding cake, this is how I dissasemble the cake, so I'm used to removing 2 or 3 tiers at a time.

Then I pried the two cake boards apart and set the 10/8/6 on the spare board. Since the bottom border was ribbon, there wasn't anything to really mess up, but if there had been a regular border, I had my trusty bag of icing with all the tips that I'd used on the cake.

My guardian angel was working a little overtime!

I only wish I had taken a picture of the damaged tier. So when one of my daughters is making a cake and isn't happy with how it turns out, I could have pulled this pic and said, "You think THAT'S bad? check THIS out!" icon_lol.gif

mezzaluna Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 21

Well done Debi! Good save. Nice with a laid-back B & G, too!

smbegg Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 21

Well, the only time that I had this happen to me was with a 3 tier cake with Raspberry Mousse. I too had to slam on the breaks. I think that I had too much filling, but I think that the force of the breaks cause the bottom to tear around the dowel, causing the shift.

But such is life. I don't think that there is anything to do to prevent those things.

TheButterWench Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:40pm
post #12 of 21

Wow, that was a gorgeous cake and an even better story.

How wonderful that you didn't get grief from the wedding party.

Debi, that's your Karma coming back at you for being such a wonderful, caring and sharing person.

You are a Cake Central Treasure for sure.

venefica Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:05pm
post #13 of 21

this happened to me once on a 3 tier cake. I had flowers all around the edge of the bottom tier which had traveled a full inch!! It was only millimeters away from falling off of the cake board icon_eek.gif I too had my cake board covered in decorative foil. I no longer do that. I now cover my cake board in color flow royal icing, and I glue each layer of cake down with royal icing (especially that bottom layer).... and then dowel. My cakes no longer travel! I learned this nifty little technique in a book that I read by Collete Peters.

venefica Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:07pm
post #14 of 21

oh yeah, some people use butter cream to glue down the bottom tier... but it is too moist and doesn't really act like glue.... trust me the royal icing does the trick - it dries rock hard!

Curtsmin24 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:08pm
post #15 of 21

I agree with Butterwench. Good karma is sweeeeeeeeet!! I'm very happy to hear you had a positive outcome!! icon_biggrin.gif

donkeemom Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:30pm
post #16 of 21

It amazes me how wonderful it all turned out. You did a very good job of turning what could have been a very bad situation into a good one. That cake looked great, really good save! And the bride and her family were nice peole too. Every one behaved in a dignified manner and did'nt act like idiots. Great learning lesson in this story, thanks for sharing!

Franluvsfrosting Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:28am
post #17 of 21

I'm glad everyone was cool and you had a great bride to deal with! That kind of stuff stinks but it's so much easier to deal with nice people!

Franluvsfrosting Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:29am
post #18 of 21

playingwithsugar Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:38am
post #19 of 21

Say it ain't so, Debi! You, a slider? I thought only I did stuff like that! Heck, one in only (how many) years you're doing cakes in your business? Not a bad record.

Glad nobody Zilla'd you that day.

Lesson learned by me - big, fat center dowel, always, when not transporting tiers separately, and punch that baby way into the cake drum.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:49am
post #20 of 21

The only time I ever had a slider was the same thing, the top layer slid on the bottom layer, and it was also raspberry preserves! I'd put too much on it, so I guess we all need to beware of raspberry overload.

trixe371 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:09am
post #21 of 21

I'm so glad everything turned out well the cake is beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%