Jam/jelly Filling?

Decorating By Angelgirl Updated 30 Mar 2008 , 4:34pm by Nathalie1970

Angelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelgirl Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:32am
post #1 of 16

I had a request for a blueberry jam filling with a yellow cake. I've only just started to experiment with fillings (I usually just use buttercream) so I've never used a jam before. Do you use jam/jelly straight from the jar or do you mix it with something else?

Is there a difference in using jam or jelly- or is it just a taste preference?

THANKS for any help!
Becky

15 replies
practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 16

I have used jams and jellies as fillings. Jams are made using the fruit and the juices from the fruit, so there will be fruit pieces in the jam. Jellies are made using just the juices, thus no fruit pieces.
When using jams or jellies, you should put a thin layer of BC on your cake and let this crust, or the jam or jelly will just soak right into the cake. Though I do have a sister who prefers hers this way.
another option is to mix the jam or jelly into buttercream and use this as the filling. Remember always to make a dam before adding the filling, and to keep filling lower than the dam to keep filling from squeezing out and top layer from sliding!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 16

When using jam/jelly/preserves, I use the two layer filling method outlined by practiceandpatience. icon_smile.gif

The cut cake slices make a lovely presentation on the plate with their bi-clored filling!

Also, the flavor contrast between the j/j/p and the b/c is an added treat.

When I mixed the j/j/p into the b/c, the mixture was pretty loose (and sweet) by the time I was able to get a strong fruit flavor. icon_sad.gif

For most flavors, icing fruits would help:

http://www.thebakerskitchen.com/BAKEWARE_SHOPPE/Baking_Ingredients/Food_Items/Icing_Fruits/icing_fruits.htm

Jello can also be used to stabilize most j/j/p flavors:

http://tinyurl.com/2xpxot

HTH

Angelgirl Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 16

Thank you both for your help... do jams/jellies need to be refrigerated once it's used to fill the cake?

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 16

No- they do not need to be refrigerated. I use straight jam/jelly on occasion, but I've also mixed them with cream cheese and a little extra powdered sugar....that makes a really awesome and rich fruity filling! Then you can also add some whipping cream and call it a mousse! icon_smile.gif

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 16

All great ideas thanks! I'll keep this is mind for my next cakes!

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 16

Although I haven't tried this, I had a friend that used pie fillings-apple,peach,cherry, blueberry, etc. that she bought from the grocery store for her cake fillings. I thought it tasted very good.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 16

Great info, I will be using fruit filling in a cake next week and I don't have much experience with fruits. I normally use BC or whipped cream.

Nathalie1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nathalie1970 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:31pm
post #9 of 16

I use often mascarpone with jam's. It's delicious!!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie1970

OOO. that sounds good, I'll have to try it.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:22pm
post #11 of 16

Nathalie 1970-what ratio of marscapone to jam? Is that all you put in? This sounds really good as an alternative to the bc as that is too sweet.

Nathalie1970 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 1:24pm
post #12 of 16

250 grams mascarpone and 2-3 tablespoons of jam.

I use it in combination with: lemoncurd, a small layer chocolate fudge,....

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:44pm
post #13 of 16

I never thought of using marscapone with jams, or even in a cake! It sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing that!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:51pm
post #14 of 16

Marscapone....that has to be refrigerated, right?

Angelgirl Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 3:28pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:

Please excuse my ignorance, but can someone tell me what mascarpone is? Pretty please????
icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Nathalie1970 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 4:34pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Marscapone....that has to be refrigerated, right?

yes, it needs to be refrigerated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgirl

Quote:

Please excuse my ignorance, but can someone tell me what mascarpone is? Pretty please????
icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I found this on wikipedia (because my English is not so good. icon_biggrin.gif )

Mascarpone From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mascarpone is a triple-cream cheese made from crème fraîche by denaturing with tartaric acid.[1] Sometimes buttermilk is added as well, depending on the brand. After denaturation, whey is removed without pressing or aging.[2] It is milky-white in color and is easily spread. When fresh, it smells like milk and cream.

Mascarpone is frequently mispronounced "marscapone," even by food professionals.[citation needed]

One can manufacture mascarpone by using cream, tartaric or citric acid, or even lemon juice.[3]

Mascarpone is used in various dishes of the Lombardy region of Italy, where it is a specialty. It is a main ingredient of tiramisu. It is sometimes used instead of butter or Parmesan cheese to thicken and enrich risotti.

[edit] Origins

Mascarpone apparently originated in the area between Lodi and Abbiategrasso, Italy, southwest of Milan, probably in the late 16th or early 17th century. The name is said to come from "mascarpa", a milk product made from the whey of stracchino (aged cheese), or from "mascarpia", the word in the local dialect for ricotta; (although it is not made by the same process and is not made from whey, as is ricotta).[2]

According to cuisine expert and journalist Gianni Brera, the correct name of the cheese should be mascherpone (also credited as a dismissed variant of the word), originally stemming from Cascina Mascherpa, a farmhouse no longer existing once located halfway between Milan and Pavia, belonging to the Mascherpa family.[citation needed]

Mascarpone has an extremely similar taste and quality to Iraqi Gaymer (sometimes spelled as "Geimer").[citation needed]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%