Where Can I Get A Good Sifter?

Decorating By brandywinecakes Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 11:22pm by cambo

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:38am
post #1 of 7

Every sifter that I buy ends up rusting in no time. Can anyone tell me where to get a good sifter? Is there one brand that is better than the other? Is there one material that is better than another? I would appreciate any input!

6 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:49am
post #2 of 7

I used my sifter for about a month and threw it out. I use a strainer, the kind with metal mesh and a handle. I put a my flour or sugar in it over a huge bowl and just kind of hit it against my hand, like a tambourine, but gently. I hope that makes since, it's kind of hard to explain. It sifts quickly, much better than a sifter. Just make sure to use a really large bowl or over a large piece of wax or parchment paper.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:59am
post #3 of 7

My husband bought my sifter from Linens and things. It has two strainer that the stff has tho go through. It works great and I haven't had any problems yet. thumbs_up.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:00am
post #4 of 7

I know what you mean about sifters....they really do rust in no time, no matter how clean/dry I kept it! I ordered this one from http://www.pastrychef.com/SIFTERS_p_39-909.html and have had it several months.....NO sign of rust! I paid over $45 for it (the large one), but it's been worth every penny! A friend has one and recommended the website and she's had hers for 3 years with no rust!

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:36am
post #5 of 7

I found a sifter at a store that only sells items for cooking and/or baking. Its a crank style and I love it. I've had it for about a year. No rust and in great condition.

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all for your replies! I've never used one without a crank. I'm rather partial to it, but I may need to step outside my box to get a good one!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 7

You're welcome! I used to have a crank one several years ago, but once I used a commercial sifter I've never looked back! SO much faster and not messy at all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%