Help! Confectioners Glaze.

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 18 Mar 2008 , 5:49pm by bobwonderbuns

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 1:49am
post #1 of 14

I just purchased my first bottle of glaze and I'm not sure how I'm suppose to use it. I ask the lady in the shop did she have anything to make my gumpaste shine and she gave me this. She said use 1 to 1. one part glaze and one part water?? But, I tried that and it's a mess. The glaze doesnt breakdown and mix with the water? Am I doing something wrong?

13 replies
lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:10am
post #2 of 14

I haven't heard of the glaze. I've always steamed my gumpaste to make it shiny, is the glaze something you use in place of steaming? Hope somebody can help. Good luck

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:31am
post #3 of 14

I use the glaze a lot and definitely do not mix with water. I use a brush to paint on the glaze and let dry. When you have finished with the brush put a little dishwashing liquid in the palm of your hand and rub brush through this to remove the glaze before washing with water otherwise if you put straight into water you will not get the glaze out. I ruined several brushes before someone suggested this tip. As lorijom says she steams her flowers, I do too but like to use it on say black shoes, the black suitcase in my photos or articles you can't steam just to give it a final gloss. I also mix it with gold or silver colours and alcohol so the gold and silver don't drop off and it is so much easier to place lettering onto the cake and no colour marking the cake. The only thing mix the amount of colour you need as you can't use it again. Remember clean your brush straight away. Hope this is of some help.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 5:59am
post #4 of 14

When we did the poinsettia and peony in Jennifer Dontz's class at the beginning of the month, she put some in a styrofoam cup and after we colored our leaves and petals with dusts we dipped them into the glaze... Let them dry, and put the flowers together. No muss, no fuss icon_biggrin.gif

HTH,
Pat

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 6:06am
post #5 of 14

I've heard that once you use that you're flowers become inedible as it's not a product to use for eating.

Confectioner's Glaze is something they use in bake shops to coat their display pieces to keep them looking nice for a long time.

So be very careful and read your label.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 11:56am
post #6 of 14

I also thought you could put it on chocolates to make them shiny too, which you would then eat? Am I wrong with this? icon_confused.gif

plbennett_8 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 14

Confectioners Glaze - Technical Information

http://www.temuss.com/html/food.html

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 14

You can also dilute your confectioners glaze with whole grain alcohol or you can purchase confectioners glaze thinner. Yes, I've heard you put it on chocolate to make it shiny.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 14

Ditto everything Briarview said. Except, I don't even bother trying to get the stuff out of my brushes. I stock up on 12 for a dollar brushes and just toss them when I'm finished. Just make sure you do all your work on disposable surfaces (wax paper, paper cups, etc.). And for heaven's sake, DON'T pour the excess down the drain! I just shove a paper towel into my paper cup to absorb the excess and toss it in the trash.

It is absolutely edible. I use it so often, my customers would be dropping like flies if it was dangerous. It's the same stuff candy makers use to add sheen to jelly beans and other candies.

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:37am
post #10 of 14

Thanks for all your help. I finally figured it out. I didn;t need to mix it with anything. It worked perfect. You guys are right about the brushes. Oh yeah, and don;t get it on your hands. LOL
The glaze that I have is edible and is used to shine chocolate and candies.
Again, thanks for all the help. My gumpaste doggy turned out nice.

TheButterWench Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:06pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

I also thought you could put it on chocolates to make them shiny too, which you would then eat? Am I wrong with this? icon_confused.gif

Tempering is what makes the chocolates nice and shinny.

I hate to be a bearer of bad news, unless they have changed the formulation on the Confectioner's Glaze, it REALLY isn't edible.

It's used in bakeries to give display pieces a longer display life.

Just be careful, read your lables.

I do know how quickly things change and I've not done a search for Edible Confectioner's Glaze yet.

Just don't buy and use things willy nilly, PROMISE ME!? ok? icon_redface.gif

thumbs_up.gif

plbennett_8 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 14

TheButterWench Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:46pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbennett_8

icon_lol.gif

well back to rearanging things in the shop. ttyl

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:49pm
post #14 of 14

I use the confectioners glaze on my jolly rancher butterflies (check my pix -- I have two flower pot cakes with those butterflies) -- called stained glass butterflies. It keeps the candy from melting. There's a remover they sell for it as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%