Store Buttercream Roses?

Decorating By bluemoon1070 Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 7:28pm by Bijoudelanuit

bluemoon1070 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 1:05am
post #1 of 9

I am new to the world of cake decorating (just completing couse 1) and I would like to take some pre-made buttercream roses with me to my inlaws for Eatser and make a cake there. How far ahead can I prepare buttercream roses and what is the best way to store them. Also, can I make leaves ahead of time?

Thanks!!!

8 replies
tracycakes Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:10am
post #2 of 9

It's been a while since I stored buttercream roses but I'm guessing 3 days to a week. They will drier the longer you store them. I store mine in a big flat box that has a lid to keep the dust out. Make sure to keep them on the wax paper square.

indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:24am
post #3 of 9

I've stored them longer than a week. Can't recall exactly how long before I used them up, but they last fine.

Let them air dry (don't freeze them ... anything that is frozen will melt when removed from the freezer). A box or tupperware container.

If you put Lego's in the corner of taller tupperware containers, you can put pieces of cardboard on the Lego's and have multiple layers of roses in one container. Old prescription bottles work well, too!

Kay_NL Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 9

Can you store them for long if they contain milk though? I figured they would go sour...

indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay_NL

Can you store them for long if they contain milk though? I figured they would go sour...

As I learned on here, the sugar and milk stablize each other. It keeps for a long time. I've stored containers of icing on the shelf for 2-3 weeks.

q2wheels Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Let them air dry (don't freeze them ... anything that is frozen will melt when removed from the freezer). A box or tupperware container.

I have frozen roses (and other BC flowers) for over a week (plastic storage containers, with plastic wrap before the top goes on). Never had any problems with them melting. I find it easier to place flowers while frozen.

HTH,

Toni Ann

lovinkakes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 9

Indydebi,

Do the legos move around on you? 'Guess I'm thinking of the skinny ones. I'd like to buy whatever you use.
Thanks

indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 9

the bigger ones are more sturdy

Bijoudelanuit Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 9

I let mine dry open air and then store them in thin rubbermaid containers. They can be kept for up to 3 weeks. It's great being able to have them made in advance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%