Still Need Prayers

Lounge By paula1234 Updated 31 Mar 2008 , 4:30am by ShirleyW

paula1234 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 15

I want to thank everyone for their prayers when my mother passed away. I finally found my creativity once again, only to have lost it once more. I still need everyone's prayers. After my mother passed away in July of 2007, I took my dad in. He has alzheimers and I got gaurdianship over my 30 year old brother. He has Down's syndrome and is profoundly mentally handicapped. He has to be fed, changed, the whole nine yards. not to mention he has osteogenesis imperfecta which is also known as brittle bone disease. This child is like my own. Their is 11 years difference between us. I have 3 boys of my own and they think J.R. hung the moon. My youngest son Trevor, he's 14, got bronchitis, got over it, then I got pneumonia 3 weeks ago and still struggling with that. We watch J.R. really close because if there is anything that he can catch he will. Well out of nowhere he got pneumonia. Rushed him to the emergency room when just got a low grade temp, no other symptoms at all. he is now on a ventilator and has been since march 4th. the doctors keep trying to ween him off. he got off the ventilator thursday march the 13th for 3 hours. while he was off i felt comfortable leaving my 18 year old in the icu room with him while i took my father home to feed him. i no sooner got in my drive way when my son tp called and said that the speech pathologist was there to test his swallowing ability. He said he begged her to let him give him a drink out of his sippy cup. there is a special way he has to drink. she even told me later that she wouldn't let tp give him a drink because she knew what she was doing and he didn't. mind you my son has been around him all of his 18 years. anyway she actually pour the tea down him and he aspirated the tea into his lungs and had to be put back on the vent. so friday march 14th the doctors decided he needed to have a feeding tube inserted into his stomach. when they went to put it in. suppose to be a simple procedure, they encountered multiple problems and he ended up having emergency surgery last night because the docotor thought she had punctured a hole in stomach and he was leaking air. thank god he didn't have a perferation, the surgeon went a head and placed the feeding tube in. hopefully tomorrow he will be able to get feedings through that tube. now the nurses seem to think he is having seizures, which he use to have when he was a baby, i really think he is now not as sedated as he was and he is just scared. when he gets scared he shakes. please remember us in your thoughts and prayers. we have had a rought 2 years, as my boys lost their father 2 years ago and my brother and I have lost our mother in july. he is still greiving terribly. he only weighed 100 pounds at the time of her death and within 2 months or less lost 30 pounds. we weighed him when he went to the er and he weighed 97 pounds. thanks for everything

14 replies
mkolmar Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 15

Oh my Dear Lord, you have had it rough. I will continue to pray for you and your family. I wish I knew what to say to try to make it better, but sadly I don't.

1nanette Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 15

I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better. But I cant find the words. Lean on the Lord for your strength, Paula. I will pray for you and your familly.

ShirleyW Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 1:15am
post #4 of 15

Your family has been through enough to crush most people. You sound like you are a strong person, but remember to take some time for yourself too. If you have any relatives or friends who can give you a breather occasionally take them up on it for your own health. I will keep your family in my thoughts and hope for the best with your brother and dad.

ShortcakesSweets Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 1:57am
post #5 of 15

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your brother sounds like a great guy and he is lucky to have a loving sister like you. Praying he will make a speedy and complete recovery.

fmcmulle Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:21am
post #6 of 15

I am so sorry to hear what you and your family has been through these last couple of years. I agree you sound like a person who can handle what ever is thrown at you but you have to take some time for yourself. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Faye

lardbutt Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 15

Sending you a big ((HUG))!

You are having such a hard time. I will be praying for your you and your family!

I applaud you for stepping up and caring for both your father and brother. It may seem like a no-brainer to you, but alot of people couldn't handle it. You are very special and I hope, no I KNOW, God will bless you for it.

MessyBaker[/list]

janine1972 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 8:34am
post #8 of 15

Paula

I too will keep you and your family in my prayers, May God Bless you richl for all you do and have done! I am so sorry that you have had such a rough time of things the past few years - May The Lord Shower You with His Blessings and bring you Peace and Joy .

God Bless You - You are truly a Special Person!

CarriM Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:13am
post #9 of 15

Paula~ I hope your brother makes a full and speedy recovery. Also, I was wondering if you had looked into any of the services available to help your brother? I am not sure what services are like in GA, as I am in Kansas, but I have worked in the developmental disabilities field for several years. Please understand, I am not suggesting some sort of institution, there are many in home supports available, even with him living with you. In Kansas there's even a program where an individual and their family can hire their own 'personal assistants' (in some cases family can even be paid for the supports they provide). These programs are funded through the Medicaid system and there is generally no charge to families... Just something I thought I'd suggest. I am still amazed at how many families don't know about the services available to their loved ones...

paula1234 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:48pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers for my brother. He finally got to come off the ventilator after 2 1/2 weeks. He started having seizures, which he hasn't had since he was 2. We also think he has a small stroke. we almost lost him twice this past monday. After 3 weeks in the icu he finally got to go to a room. today we found out his left lung is free and clear of pneumonia. Now we are hoping the right lung will clear. Monday he ran a temp of 106.3, that is not a typo. he had to be placed on a cooling blanket. we think his fever is due to the antibiotics he is receiving, we have just go to figure out which one he is so sensitive to. Also, I want every one to know how proud I am of my 3 boys, ages 14, 15, and 17. They have helped me tremendously. My 17(soon to 18 in April) alternates staying with him every other night with me, so I do not neglect my other two boys, Dad, and the dogs. He works at a retirement home where the residents are own their own at night, he is on the wait staff and he loves it. the stories he tells!! then he volunteers at the hospital where j.r. is. He got to graduated high school early. once again, thanks for everyones support/

paula1234 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:46am
post #11 of 15

Once again I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers for my brother. Unfortunatly, he passed away early this morning. He was like my own child. my heart is so heavy, at least he is not in anymore pain and he is once again reunitd with his mother. just keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers.

janine1972 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 8:16am
post #12 of 15

paula 1234

Lean on the Lord, He will bless and guide you!

I am soo sorry to hear about your brother, and my heart aches for you! you and your family will remain in my prayers! i am sorry not to have replied sooner - but i couldnt get on cc - for some or other reason!

I am glad that he is no longer in pain, and reunited with his mother in heaven!God bless you and your family for all you have done for him, and may you find peace, knowing he is in a better place, where there is no pain, only joy and happiness!

((((((((( BIG HUGS))))))))))))
TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY - YOU ARE AN AMAZING WOMAN, AND KNOW THAT YOU ARE LOVED AND APPRECIATED!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

p.s i will keep you and your family in my prayers allways!

janine

Ursula40 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 10:19am
post #13 of 15

My heart aches for you. You really are strong and I admire that. Most people would have been crushed by the weight you have to bear. It's early yet in the grieving process, but try to remember, that your brother is now in a place, where he feels no more pain. He must have been soo confused by all that had happened, but now he is at peace. Take some time to grieve and also to regain some inner peace and strength

fmcmulle Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 1:46pm
post #14 of 15

Oh Paula I am so sorry to hear the news of your brothers passing. You and your family have went through so much in that couple of years. You are a strong lady but remember you have to take care of yourself also. I will continue to pray for you and your family. It breaks my heart to hear the pain in the words that you write. If there is anything I can do please don't hesitate to ask me.
Take care
Faye

ShirleyW Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 4:30am
post #15 of 15

Paula I am so very sorry to read your post. When you lose someone you love it doesn't help to have people say your loved one is better off. They may be, but you are still left here to grieve. I lost my son and my sister 5 months ago and my daughter doesn't seem to understand why I am still so emotional about it. A father of one of the firefighters lost in NYC on 9/11 spoke at his sons memorial. In it he said he knew his son was in the arms of god, but he wished he were in his arms. That is how I feel about my son, and I imagine you must feel about your beloved brother. I would like to think my mother met Randy when he left us, and your mother is there to meet J.R.

You have raised some wonderful sons and have a right to be very proud of them. I am so glad they are there for you and your dad.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%