Searching For A Mold For Jem Stones

Decorating By FromScratch Updated 16 Mar 2008 , 3:14pm by ladyonzlake

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 11

I used to have a link to a page with silicone molds for little tiny jemstones.. my old computer crashed and I lost it and I can't find it in my searching.. Does anyone know where to get a mold like this? TIA for any help.. I am driving myself batty.

10 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 11

I just ordered these myself. Haven't used them yet. http://www.firstimpressionsmolds.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=12

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 11

fancyflours.com has premade gems

FromScratch Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you so much!! Diane that is the exact page I was looking for. Do you have the mold or are you waiting for it to get here? WHen you do get it can you let me know how small the smallest one is? Thanks again! The ones from Fancy Flours are nice, but a bit too big for what I need.. but thanks for the site.. I am always looking for more place to browse! icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 11

Oh Jaqui I could kiss you.. I have been looking for paper brioche liners for a LONG time.. and fancy flours has them!!! Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!!!!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 11

Ha... Make me open the packages, will ya? icon_wink.gif The smallest cavities are pretty much 1/8". Some are slightly smaller on the short side. Smaller than a pencil eraser. I think I'm going to have to use a couple toothpicks, or something like that, to get the hot sugar into the mold.

I also ordered the premade gems from Fancy Flours. I was surprised to see that they're shaped like a gem that would fit in a setting. In other words, they're not flat-backed, but pointy. I have no freakin idea how one would attach these to a cake.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 11

Wow, this is really weird. I had no idea these little gems existed, and have been up at night wondering how I could make them! I'm so glad I found this post! What do you fill the molds with? Are the premade ones edible?

ladyonzlake Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 11

Your welcome Jeanne. My sisters name is Jeanne! I too ordered the molds from first impressions but after I got them it just seems like a lot of work when I could just buy them premade.

Lindakbh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindakbh Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:44am
post #9 of 11

I have these molds but havenât had any luck with them.

The ones I got are so tiny that it is hard to fill them- the little bit of hot syrup cools too much before I can properly fill the mold and if I use more syrup, then they are not flat. I tried over pouring and then scraping the back but the sugar hardened too fast.

Also, I have not been able to get a smooth shiny surface on the front âfacetedâ side. The backs are shiny as normal but the fronts are dull and have a slight texture to them. Iâve tried greasing and not greasing, but with no luck.

I donât have much experience with sugar so if anyone has any ideas Iâd love to hear them. I have such visions for using the little gems!

FromScratch Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 11

I can't say for sure because I don't have them, but what if you took a bench scraper and put some sugar on it and run it over the mold pressing the sugar in as you go? I am going to order the mold soon and practice as I need the teeny jewels for a cake in September and I want to have it down pat by then.

ladyonzlake Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:14pm
post #11 of 11

I think you can brush on Confectioners Glaze to make them shiny but I'm not positive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%