Help Me!! Fondant Probelms.

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 5:35am by cakesnkids

Iloveweddings Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 14

When I put the fondant on the cake it rips or cracks. What am I doing wrong? What can I do to prevent it? Thanks in advance.

13 replies
CharmingConfections Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 14

Does the fondant seem to dry? If it does, you can use a bit of shortening and mix it in so it wont dry out while you are working with it.
Perhaps you have rolled it too thin? and when you pull it it rips?
I wish I could be more help, maybe you could tell us a bit more of the process you are using.

tracey1970 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 14

When this has happened to me, it's always been because I didn't have enough shortening on the roll-out mat and because I rolled the fondant too thin. Now, I am sure to coat my rolling surface with a thin layer of shortening that I've rubbed in really well, and I leave the fondant a bit thicker.

sugarshack Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:30am
post #4 of 14

Use a mat, crisco it lightly; roll out fondant; flip whole thing onto cake and then peel off the mat. the crisco side will be up and very moist. I never get tears this way.

smbegg Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:51am
post #5 of 14

I have found that I use too thin of fondant. Watch Aine2's video

" rel="nofollow">

Look how thick she rolls her fondant out!

I also like to roll out on vinyl sheeting with shortening

Stephanie

beachcakes Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 1:08am
post #6 of 14

Wow! I haven't gotten up the nerve to try fondant on a square cake, but her tutorial is great! Is that how thick fondant is supposed to be?? Mine is usually much thinner - maybe that's why I have problems??

Iloveweddings Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 9:42am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

Wow! I haven't gotten up the nerve to try fondant on a square cake, but her tutorial is great! Is that how thick fondant is supposed to be?? Mine is usually much thinner - maybe that's why I have problems??

This is another fondant laying video on youtube. She says to have your fondant be 1/4" thick.

superstar Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 14

roll my fondant a little thinner than Lorraine (Aine2) does, I also put a normal thickness of BC on the cake , Lorraine puts a crumb coat on. I & my customers love the way the BC melds with the fondant, that is a metter of taste. I do make sure like Sugarshack that there is a smoothing of crisco on top.

oilili Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 9:09am
post #9 of 14

Iloveweddings, I have the same problem as you and I am learning from this post.

My rolled fondant recipe does not have butter in it (nor Crisco because I can't get it over here) so I am wondering if that's the reason.

Also, I do find that when I tint my fondant with some colours (such as blue, black or brown) it dries out very quickly and the problem is worse. icon_sad.gif

When I just use white fondant, I find it much easier to work with.
Perhaps it's the fact that I have to spend time adding colours to the paste with a toothpick... and by the time I roll it out to cover th cake it is already too late?!

DaisyLisa17 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 14

I have made 2 batches of mmf and both times I wanted to give up!! The first time, I think I added too much powdered sugar, it ended up like a rock. The second time I decided not to add so much sugar when I was kneading it, and it ended up waaay to soft. I am so frustrated with it all, I dont want to make anymore of it. Even though it tastes so much better!

Heres my problem getting it onto the cake. I always use crisco on my mat, but then I cant keep the blob still to roll it out! And when I finally get it on the cake, its too thin and rips, or it doesnt cover it the cake the whole way. Also, if we grease up the mat so it wont stick, then wont the outer layer of fondant be greasy?

Some advice to this newbie would be great... everytime I try it I want to rip out my hair!!

beachcakes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 2:51pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyLisa17

Heres my problem getting it onto the cake. I always use crisco on my mat, but then I cant keep the blob still to roll it out! And when I finally get it on the cake, its too thin and rips, or it doesnt cover it the cake the whole way. Also, if we grease up the mat so it wont stick, then wont the outer layer of fondant be greasy?

I think you may be using too much Crisco to roll out. Just use a thin coating on your mat; it shouldn't move around. Try using more fondant and rolling it a bit thicker - try an 1/8"- 1/4". To get the right size, you would roll it out to at least the diameter of the cake pan plus twice the height of the cake.

Melan Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:07pm
post #12 of 14

I use MMF and found that rolling it out with cornstarch is so much better. If my MMF is hard to roll out I pop it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time, like 15 at a time, then, when it is pliable enough I knead it a bit then roll it out with the cornstarch. Hope this helps!

cakesnkids Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:33am
post #13 of 14

I, too, use the mat and flip method. My fondant isn't TERRIBLY thick, but it's thick enough to hold corners well. I've used this method with the mmf, pettinice and satin ice, as well as the homemade fondant I like to use from the cake bible.
A REALLY useful tool that helped me learn alot more than I knew about fondant from trial and error was watching Sharon Zambito's dvd on fondant. Go to www.sugaredproductions.com.....it's really a great method, and she goes through the steps very thoroughly.

cakesnkids Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:35am
post #14 of 14

I, too, use the mat and flip method. My fondant isn't TERRIBLY thick, but it's thick enough to hold corners well. I've used this method with the mmf, pettinice and satin ice, as well as the homemade fondant I like to use from the cake bible.
A REALLY useful tool that helped me learn alot more than I knew about fondant from trial and error was watching Sharon Zambito's dvd on fondant. Go to www.sugaredproductions.com .....it's really a great method, and she goes through the steps very thoroughly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%