Airbrushing Questions

Decorating By dixon920 Updated 16 Mar 2008 , 1:03am by dixon920

dixon920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dixon920 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 3

I am kinda new to cake making..... well as more than just one or two a year but I am very ambitious, I see something and I dont stop until I figure out how I can do it. I have all brand new airbrushing supplies and would like to airbrush on my sisters baby shower cake i'll be making in about six weeks, I only have a few questions if anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it.
1. Is there a specific airbrush I have to use, or air compressor or air line? (i.e. is there a specific air compressor that's considered food grade or is it in the air line I choose?)
2. what is the best way to dilute the Wilton Gel Colors so they are not too thick for the airbrush?
3. Is there a specific type plastic I should use to make stencils if I want to make stencils? Will probably freehand most of it but for something that may need to be "uniform" I'd like to know what i can use to make the stencils

I started this self taught journey a little over a year ago in cake making.... I'm just getting into airbrushing. I guess I was lucky that my first buttercream recipe turned out AWESOME. and I have played around with fondant shapes and coloring and things as well. Cakes are just an addiction for me. Which poses another question..... does anyone have any suggestions for a buttercream icing that includes less sugar or a sugar substitute? I took a hiadus from making my cakes when i found out that I am diabetic but since losing my job due to uncontrollable injury I find myself more and more missing the cake making as I dont like being idle.

Any assistane yall can offer is greatly appreciated. I know I might be asking alot of yall and myself for that matter but I'm just that kind of person. If I see it done I am gonna figure out how to do it.... probably the reason I'm the best self taught mechanic *in my husbands opinion* that most people have met.

Kim

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 3

>...2. what is the best way to dilute the Wilton Gel Colors so they are not too thick for the airbrush? ...<
WOAH!!!!!! NO, No, no! There are sepcial air brush colors that *must* be used or you will ruin it!

>...3. Is there a specific type plastic I should use to make stencils if I want to make stencils...<
Not really. Stencil blanks are sold at most craft stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. BTW: I have a stencil cutter (hot pen) for saleicon_smile.gif (Hint, hint)

>...does anyone have any suggestions for a
buttercream icing that includes less sugar or a sugar substitute?...<
There are a few books out that have diabetic recipes for sweets. I remember on has a cottage cheese icing recipe. One of the problems is the amount given doesn't even begin to cover a cakeicon_sad.gif
Yes, I know it can be dbl'd, even tripled but then the nutriional info is off.

dixon920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dixon920 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 1:03am
post #3 of 3

"There are sepcial air brush colors that *must* be used"...

Can you tell me where I can find the air brush colors for cakes? I had never heard of them, I had read somewhere that you can thin out food color or other coloring agents but I didn't know there was a special air brush paint made for cakes.
And do you know if there are food grade supplies (i.e. airbrushes, lines or compressors) ?
Its only common sense that you cant use the same supplies as you would for regular paint but I didnt know if there were food grade supplies I'd need to look for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%