How Long Can Cake Sit Out At Room Temp (In June In Michigan)

Decorating By maiya_1 Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 10:37pm by maiya_1

maiya_1 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 11

Please help...

I am making my first wedding cake for my sister but I am also in the wedding!

What is the earliest I could set up the cake display? I would like to do it in the morning around 9 or 10 but I don't know how long it can be out.

It is just a simle cake with bc & mmf & rose petals; no fancy decorations or roses or anything to melt.

I would appreciate your input, I really don't want to do the finishing touches with my bridesmaid dress on...

Thanks,

Missy

10 replies
kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 11

What time do you estimate it will be served? Where outside will it be....in direct sunlight or shaded....under a tent (or such)?
I once had a bride **insist** her cake be set up about the same time you are suggesting in her front yard for a late afternoon/early evening wedding. There was not one stitch of shade. That cake sat in direct sunlight (in CA) the whole day!
I did get to talk to someone who was at the affair and they said it was good; not dry so I guess all was fine.
Is it something you can have ready and just carry out as soon as you get to the 'reception' part? Maybe have it in the kitchen or some cool room until then? That's what I would shoot for.

tracey1970 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:42am
post #3 of 11

Also, what are you putting in the buttercream? Real butter BC will behave differently than all shortening BC.

smbegg Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:46am
post #4 of 11

As long as you don't have a filling that needs to be refridgerated and the cake is not in the sun, you should be ok. To keep bugs off, you may consider this until time to cut. I thought that it looked really nice.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=82439
Stephanie

indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 5:02am
post #5 of 11

I've done weddings outside where my cake has sat out for 5 hours +/-. In a tent.

My understanding of my state's HD rules is that food must be covered, i.e. under a tent, on a covered porch, etc. It can not set out in the direct sun. So you might check to see if there is such a rule in your state or not.

alanahodgson Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 11

Is the cake going to be outside? I see you say room temp. Will the room be air conditioned? As long as you're not using filling that needs refrigeration and the room is going to be air conditioned, you should be fine setting it up super early.

maiya_1 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:59am
post #7 of 11

I am not using any refrigerated fillings, and the room is not going to be airconditioned, but the cake can be out of the sun.

I think I will just try to get there as late in the morning as I can to set the cake up and still be to the church on time.

Thanks for your help everyone! I love this website!!!!

Can anyone suggest some fillings that hold up really well?
I was thinking about strawberry (or rasberry), chocolate ganache, and I'm not sure what else yet.

Crazy-4-Cakes Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:14am
post #8 of 11

Have you thought about possible getting someone else to set the cake up for you? maybe the groom's mom or whomever they have chosen to serve as hostess. Is it possible to get all your finishing touches done and then stored in a cooler til time to set it out.

alanahodgson Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:46am
post #9 of 11

I'm from Michigan and June can be pretty unpredictable. I was married in June and it was about 85 with 90% humidity that day. I was married in an unairconditioned chapel and the best man literally had sweat dripping off his nose. I don't think I'd go with ganache unless the weather report was going to be predicting rather mild weather. I'd go with a jam based filling like the strawberry or raspberry you mentioned. Those sleeved fillings you can buy at the cake supply stores needs no refrigeration. That would give you a few other options to consider.

apclassicwed Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 11

I'm also in Michigan and I agree totally with the advice that Alana gives. June is very unpredictable and the beginning of June can be cooler than the middle to end of June.

maiya_1 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:37pm
post #11 of 11

Well, after having my sister sample different fillings she decided she wants all of the fillings to just be chocolate buttercream with chocolate, yellow, and marble cake. So no my job is easier but thanks everyone!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%