Homemade Cake Release

Decorating By daveilg Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 2:51pm by daveilg

daveilg Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 19

One of you ladies posted a recipe for homemade cake release. I was very stupid and did not write it down. Can you please re-post this recipe as I really want to try it?

18 replies
kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 19

It's simple just equal parts of salad oil; Crisco and flour. Whip for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
If you live in a very humid area some people also add an equal amount of cornstarch.

The amount of a 'part' depends on how much use. Can be Tablespoons, 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup or ??. Just make sure each ingredient is the same amount as the othersicon_smile.gif

plbennett_8 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 19

Yep...the one I have is:

1 cup Oil
1 cup Flour
1 cup Shortening

Love this stuff! icon_biggrin.gif

trixieleigh Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 19

Mine is a little different than ya'lls. I wonder what the difference in the finished product is? Any thoughts?

PAN GOO
1 1/4 C shortening
1/4 C flour
1/4 C oil

Solecito Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:40am
post #5 of 19

I have a recipe, It's a big batch because I use it a lot, maybe you can size it down:

1 lb shortening
1 pound flour , beat until fluffy then add
2 cups vegetable oil, keep beating until well mixed.
It kind of has the consistency of icing, very fluffy and very spreadable.

oliveoyle Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:16am
post #6 of 19

I am brand new to this site, though I have been making cakes for several years now, I have never heard of homemade cake release. How does it work and how do you use it?

Arriva Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:33am
post #7 of 19

I've been using the homemade cake release for almost 3 years -- and I love it. I use 1 cup shortening, 1 cup oil and 1 cup flour. I mix it for several minutes. Then I use a pastry brush to brush it onto my pans. No sticking at all. And it's cheap too.

kakeladi Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:20pm
post #8 of 19

>... never heard of homemade cake release. How does it work and how do you use it?...<

It is used to grease and flour your cake pans before adding batter.
Keep the mixed release in the 'frig. I keep a round pastry brush just for this. Coat the pan WELL - don't be stingy w/thisicon_smile.gif If there is any spot that is shiny you don't have enough brushed on.

Tootall Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:28pm
post #9 of 19

Oooo, this sounds sooo much easier than the way I've been doing it. LOL Crisco all over my hands and flour everywhere! I've got to give this a try!! icon_biggrin.gif Although it DOES make my hands nice and soft icon_wink.gif

daveilg Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 19

Thank all of you! For some reason (prob my fault) I wasn't getting notified of replies. I am grateful for the help and will try these. I don't like to buy anything I can make!!!!

Thanks again
Dave

mbarbi Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 19

love the cake release recipe i found here in cakecentral...makes a perfect base for decorating....less or no crumbs at all!

butterflywings Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 19

awesome... i wonder, can you put it into one of those pump-spray bottles (like the spray olive-oil containers) - do you know what i mean? not a mister bottle (though would that work?) but the ones where you pump the top and then it sprays out like an aersol?

plbennett_8 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

awesome... i wonder, can you put it into one of those pump-spray bottles (like the spray olive-oil containers) - do you know what i mean? not a mister bottle (though would that work?) but the ones where you pump the top and then it sprays out like an aersol?

Nope...when it comes out of the mixer it looks almost like icing... icon_smile.gif

veejaytx Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 19

Just use your regular mixer, not an immersion type! I made some once with the immersion one and had an amazingly fluffy cake release, not quite what I wanted.

I love this equal parts blend because you can make as little or as much as you need at any given time. It keeps really well even without refrigeration, but eventually it will go stale if you don't use it up. Janice

funbun Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:13pm
post #15 of 19

I swear I learn something new on this site every time I log in.
You guys and girls are great!!!
Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

jonicca Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:40pm
post #16 of 19

This is great! I love the Wilton brand, but if I can make it that's even better! How long can this be stored? Counter? Refrigerator? Which is better?

funbun Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:37pm
post #17 of 19

Just made my first cake with the homemade cake release ( 1 to 1 to 1) and WOW it just popped out of the pan! icon_biggrin.gif
I am in love with this

mbarbi Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:47pm
post #18 of 19

[img]Image[/img]

perfect base for decorating! icon_smile.gif

daveilg Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:51pm
post #19 of 19

Very nice mbarbi. I'm trying mine in about an hour on a 12x18 sheet I'm doing for tomorrow. I hope it works as good for me. How long did you cool in the pan before you turned it out?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%