Need To Vent...

Decorating By jlvmorales Updated 18 Mar 2008 , 10:49am by Bijoudelanuit

jlvmorales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlvmorales Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 11

I am not that great of a cake decorator, but I love decorating cakes, so a lot of time I volunteer to do so for free. We live overseas in a military community, so cakes are not easy to get unless you know someone who makes and decorates them. I know I am not as wonderful as you all are in Cake Central...I hope to one day be in the states long enought to learn to use fondant, gum paste, and sugar art. Soo....here is my drama for the day. icon_cry.gif

I was asked by the Girl Scout leader to make three cakes for girl scout week for Wednesday. On Thursday, week prior, the leader forgets to mention that someone else is going to make the cake (and get paid) for Wednesday. Paid??? I was volunteering THREE cakes! icon_eek.gif I was really upset because I had already bought all the ingredients for the cakes. I shook it off and said to myself, no biggie, I'll just wait for Easter and make some cakes for church.

Well, then she asked me if I could please make the cake for the sock hop which was today. Because it was an event that both of my daughters would be attending, I said yes. Unfortunately, I had to work on Friday, and go to Girl Scout activities afterwards which brought me home by 8:00 pm. No biggie, I made both cakes and let them cooled over night. Woke up at 5:30 to make the frosting and tint. I finished the cake an hour before the even was to start (1100 am).

Get the cake there, and immediately kids are trying to poke at it...to be expected. Well, an hour later, a friend of mine tells me that SODA was spilled on the cake! What?! So I go and look and the girls that were serving root beer floats just looked at me like I was crazy. I mentioned to them that there was spilled soda on the cake. They go, "Yeah, that's too bad." Sons of a biscuits was my next phrase...but muttered under my breathe as children were present. I spoke with the leader and she tells me that the cake is really beautiful. I said thanks, however, someone spilled soda on it. She then tells me, "Yeah, one of the leaders spilled it...what can you do?!" I was so upset that I just took off to calm down. Maybe I am making a big deal, but it really took me a long time to draw and I was really happy about how it turned out.

I guess people just don't realize how long it takes to decorate cakes! And maybe I am making a big deal, but that just ticked me off! icon_mad.gif I am sorry this is so long... My husband is back in the states so I can't vent to him. Thanks for letting me vent! icon_cry.gif
Lisa

10 replies
jlvmorales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlvmorales Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 11

The Picture is in my gallery.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 11

you know, that's a really cute cake and unfortunately those people have no control over those kids.

and what are they teaching them?

and if you make a fuss then you're the bad guy.

You're going to have to be a little meaner and not let them use you as a doormat.

also, protect your cake at event's where kids attend, do they sell those plastic covers out there? you know the kind the grocery store cakes are sent home in"? you can get a couple and reuse them.

also, as soon as you hear that someone was getting paid for a cake, you could've told them when they finally came to you that you had something to do already

which was enjoy the event with your daughter stress free!

lol

So sorry that happened.

I think that should be a topic for a Girl Scout meeting.

Food sanitation and respect for others.

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:02am
post #4 of 11

That just irritates me. Shows NO respect!!! I like the idea of the next Girl Scout topic. People really DONT realize how much work goes into decorating cakes. Just is sooo frustrating! Im so sorry this happened to you. icon_sad.gif I always keep my cakes in a box with either the lid up, or with a see through top. I would prolly pass out if something like that happened.

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:46am
post #5 of 11

I'm so sorry this happened to you--but I just had to respond to say how adorable your cake was! A cute picture on it, and your border looks perfect!

I hope your next event goes better for you!

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:36am
post #6 of 11

As my mom would say "What a bunch of ungreatfull breats!" LOL Your cake was awesome.

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:48am
post #7 of 11

Your cake "was" adorable before the mishap! Sorry it happened, but I'm sure lots of people saw it and I'm sure lots of people still ate it and loved it. Although if that happened to me... I think smoke would be coming out of my ears!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 3:51am
post #8 of 11

aww i'm so sorry. This is what happens sometimes when you do things for free - people totally take advantage of it.... you could either volunteer a cake (ahead of time instead of waiting for them to ask you) or charge them - at least for the ingredients...... then they may value it a little more...

How on earth do you spill soda on a cake? Why on earth was soda anywhere near the cake in the first place? It's just rude..... I hope they ate it anyway....

Next time (if you decide to do it again) I'd definitely get a box to put the cake in - maybe one with a clear top if its a sheetcake or something small - so people can still see it but not poke or spill on it... or just keep it in a box until its time to cut the cake and then call everyone together so they can see it before you cut it.

Another option is to have a separate table for the cake - sounds like this one might have been too close to other foods and drinks unfortunately....

janine1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janine1972 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 8:47am
post #9 of 11

Hi there

i thought your cake was beautiful, and so are all the others in your gallery!

as for them - huh, i agree - charge them and let them pay for it!!! even if it jus covers the ingredients and a little for your time and effort

people dont appreciate what you do for them - especially when it is free - trust me!!

when they gotta pay, they take good careof it!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 10:37am
post #10 of 11

It sounds to me like the scout leader tried to make up for the previous incident by asking you to make the cake for this event. She obviously enjoyed how it looked, so I think that other opportunities will arise from this one.

I am a former Cub Scout Den Leader, so I give you props for donating your time and talent to a very worthy cause. How you decide to handle future requests from them is entirely up to you, but I would at least ask for payment of expenses incurred, and keep the receipts, so they can repay you appropriately. You never know what full-payment opportunities may come of it, but it doesn't hurt to give some time and a little flour sugar and eggs, in order to have the opportunity to network and get some advertising out of it. Ask if you can put some business cards out with the next cake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 10:49am
post #11 of 11

It's a great cake.. I love your people...and the black and white looks very classic... I think it's perfect!
I'm so sorry about the people at event. They have no idea what goes into a cake! I remember in girl scouts we did bake cakes and decorate them once- I loved it (and had already taken the Wilton courses!), but everyone else was shocked at how time consuming it was and how much there was to it.

Just an FYI, I noticed that you have your comments off- Your cakes are lovely icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%