Ladybug Cake Help

Decorating By galliesway Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 5:56am by galliesway

galliesway Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 5

I want to make my daughter a ladybug cake for her 3rd birthday. I'm looking for more of a 3D cake verus the ladybug cake pan. I have the sports ball pan and mini ball pans. Does anyone have instructions that would be easy for a newbie? I thought I'd start early this year after the Shrek ordeal.

TIA,
Kelley

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 5

Here's one I made using a 1/2 ball and mini 1/2 ball.
Hope it helps.
The antena are tiny balls of fondant on uncooked speghetti.
I did use an airbrush for the black head. Does Wilton have black spray color? You could always use chocolate icing w/some black paste coloring.
LL

alanahodgson Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 5

Here's one I made. It was only a smash cake using 1/2 of the mini ball pan, but it will give you an idea. I trimed off the sides of the 1/2 ball to make the ladybug more oval shaped and trimmed the sharp edges where I'd cut to be more rounded. I then trimmed off the "head" part. I put down a 1/4" coating of icing on the body and covered with red fondant. I used a ruler to impress a crease down the center to define the wings. I then skim coated the head portion I'd cut off so that it would be a little smaller than the body. Covered with black fondant. Cut some circles for spots and eyes. Extruded some black gumpaste/fondant and curled them for antenea through my clay gun. They had to sit overnight to dry then just gently stuck them into the crease between the head and the body. Piped some grass and cut some flowers to lay into the grass. I extruded the legs using the half circle disk and just bent them into shape and stuck them into the grass.
LL

felecia Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 5

i have one in my photos on here...go take a look. i made cupcakes to go with the cake its self

galliesway Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:56am
post #5 of 5

Very cute lady bugs! Thanks all for you help!

Kelley

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%