Diamond Pattern??

Decorating By laurie79 Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 1:51am by tony_sopranos_ebony_girl

laurie79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurie79 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 10

How do you do the diamond pattern on the sides of the cake.... please help.....

9 replies
dawndelicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawndelicious Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 10

When I have needed to make diamond imprints, I took my square fondant cutters and squeezed them into a diamond shape. They bend back, and this has worked for me several times.

Good luck!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 10

You can buy a diamond imoression mat form sugarshack at sharonssugarshack.com for like $5.00. The work well on fondant and buttercream and cover a large area all at aone time. I highly recommend them.

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 10

I have my first diamond pattern cake due the end of this month. I ordered the impression mat from cakes by sam and it was like $5 or $6 dollars. The only disadvantage I have found with ordering it online is the handling fees and shipping cost. So, this $5 dollar item is costing me like $15. But, when you gotta have it, you gotta have it.

I am looking foward to making this design, it's something different.

Happy shopping. icon_biggrin.gif

rozdei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozdei Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 10

Donnagardner,

When using these on fondant, do you roll the impression onto the fondant before putting it on the cake? If so, is the mat on the bottom or the fondant?

I guess with BC, you would push it up against the side of the cake after it's crusted, correct?

Thanks.

dawndelicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawndelicious Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 10

Well, I feel stupid! icon_redface.gif

I made large diamond imprints on a cake for a customer who wanted an argyle-type pattern. That's when I used the my square fondant cutters.

I have the diamond impression mat from Sugar Shack and it works beautifully! I used it on buttercream and, yes, just let the icing crust and then use the mat. I put little pearls at the intersections. Everyone "oohed and aahed" and it was one of the easiest things ever!

Sorry I misunderstood the question, and, again, good luck!

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 10

I use a plastic 45 degree drafting triangle, and use a roller to trace the lines on once it is on the cake.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 12:26am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozdei

Donnagardner,

When using these on fondant, do you roll the impression onto the fondant before putting it on the cake? If so, is the mat on the bottom or the fondant?

I guess with BC, you would push it up against the side of the cake after it's crusted, correct?

Thanks.

No, you do it right on the cake after it has been frosted or fondant applied. After your buttercream is crusted you can roll it along the side of the cake and push in slightly to put the impression on the cake, just be careful of the edges so you don't get a line from the edge. It can be used on fondant also but should be used fairly quickly after fondant is put on cake so it is still pliable. If the impression is not deep enough you can use a quilting wheel cutter thingy(?) to go over it to make the impression deeper. HTH Oh yeah...dust it with corn starch so it wont stick to the cake.

rozdei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozdei Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:40am
post #9 of 10

Donnagardner,

Thanks so much! I'm going to try this. My problem with the fondant was that I waited too long when I started quilting.

~julie~

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:51am
post #10 of 10

I just ordered these myself !!! icon_smile.gif

http://www.pastrysampler.com/Images/5259s.jpg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%