I Don't Think I Like Fondant!

Decorating By Luby Updated 16 Mar 2008 , 12:05pm by Rincewind

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 19

I made a fondant covered cake (the very first one) using Satin Ice. I can see the advantages as far as not having the stress of getting the Buttercream icing smooth and even, but I think I would rather have just Buttercream icing. Everyone raves about the taste of Satin Ice and although it's edible I don't find the taste very appealing. Don't get me wrong - I love the appearance of the fondant cakes - I just don't like the taste of it. I peeled all of the fondant off and threw it away after it was cut. When I peeled the fondant off most of the Buttercream came off with it. Is there any way to prevent the Buttercream from coming off it you take off the Fondant?

Are there any other fondants that taste good?

18 replies
Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 19

I know everyone will ask you this, but have you tried marshmallow fondant? I love it, my kids love it, and everyone I make a cake for, loves it. You can flavor it quite easily, and I think I have found my standard fondant flavor by adding 1 tsp of Magic Line's Butter Vanilla flavoring. It takes away the marshmallow flavor and gives it a soft, vanilla flavor comparable to basic buttercream. MMF is easy and inexpensive to make, so give it a try and see what you think!

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 19

Starkie
How much of the butter vanilla do you put in? Thx

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 19

I don't really like Satin Ice either.. to me it sort of tastes like vanilla flavored play-doh. I make my own. It's a lot easier than you might think. I use Michele Foster's recips from here on CC. It is very good. Tastes like mild vanilla buttercream if you use vanilla but you can flavor it anyway you want. It is easy to work with too. It is everybit as good in the performance arena as Satin Ice too.

Here's the recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-0-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

For commercial fondants I prefer the taste of Fondex over Satin Ice. It's a little pricier, and you can get it from caljavaonline.

toleshed Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 19

Is Magic Line the Brand name? Where do you find it?

Luby Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkie

I know everyone will ask you this, but have you tried marshmallow fondant? I love it, my kids love it, and everyone I make a cake for, loves it. You can flavor it quite easily, and I think I have found my standard fondant flavor by adding 1 tsp of Magic Line's Butter Vanilla flavoring. It takes away the marshmallow flavor and gives it a soft, vanilla flavor comparable to basic buttercream. MMF is easy and inexpensive to make, so give it a try and see what you think!

Actually, I did buy a bag of marshmallows just for that, but never got around to making. Now that I've gotten over my fear of fondant I think I will give it a whirl. I read on another post that one member adds a tbsp of glycerine to the powdered sugar for pliability. Do you do this?
I also just happen to have a bottle of the Magic Line Butter Vanilla flavor. I think when this cake class is over I will make this my next project.

Thanks for the help!

toleshed Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 19

I just did 100 cookies for a St. Paddys day dinner/dessert last night. I used the MMF. Its so easy to work with. I love it.

Luby Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I don't really like Satin Ice either.. to me it sort of tastes like vanilla flavored play-doh. I make my own. It's a lot easier than you might think. I use Michele Foster's recips from here on CC. It is very good. Tastes like mild vanilla buttercream if you use vanilla but you can flavor it anyway you want. It is easy to work with too. It is everybit as good in the performance arena as Satin Ice too.

Here's the recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-0-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

For commercial fondants I prefer the taste of Fondex over Satin Ice. It's a little pricier, and you can get it from caljavaonline.

Thanks for the info! I think I'll try different ones to see if I can find one I like. One of girls at the office (after trying a piece) said it reminded her of those orange "circus peanuts" (the soft orange candy that's shaped like a penaut).

Luby Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

Is Magic Line the Brand name? Where do you find it?

Yes the brand name is Magic Line and I get mine from my local cake supply store. Google on the internet and you can find suppliers in your area or you can order it. Sorry, I don't have any links for you.

toleshed Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 1:46pm
post #10 of 19

Thanks so much! Will do

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 2:35pm
post #11 of 19

I'm going to try the Michelle Foster recipe also. I've made mmf a few times and it is easy to work with but it is way to sweet for me and any adult that I know. Kids love it though. (of course I think marshmallows are too sweet so adding PS just doesn't help that icon_lol.gif ) I want something more vanilla tasting so I'll try Michelle's recipe soon.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 5:23pm
post #12 of 19

I have tried many MMF recipes and at least 4 true fondant recipes.. of all of them Michele's is the best hands down. It's not cloyingly sweet like MMF is and it works better IMHO. Toba's fondant was way to sweet too and didn't have as nice a texture. You won't be disappointed is you try it.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 5:30pm
post #13 of 19

Good to know. Thanks for your advice.

toleshed Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 1:41am
post #14 of 19

Thanks so much! Will do

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 1:53am
post #15 of 19

Toleshed, I put in one tsp of Butter Vanilla for my entire batch (1 bag MM, 2 lbs PS) of MMF. It tastes wonderful! Good luck!

Jazz2U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazz2U Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:12am
post #16 of 19

Has anyone tried the strawberry marshmellows yet for MMF?

The dark chocolate Satin Ice is great, the others do smell like Play Doh. I don't think it's tastier than Wilton's-both are awful to me but some people love it. I flavor the Wilton with raspberry vodka mixing a little in. It tastes "better" but I still don't eat it.

I try to put more layers in the cake to make up for the icing that's not on the outside.

Sumatra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sumatra Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:34am
post #17 of 19

I'm so glad to read this thread. I've tried 3 different fondant recipes and I haven't liked any of them. I think I will try Michelle's recipe mentioned above. Thanks!!!

toleshed Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 10:57am
post #18 of 19

Thanks Starkie

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:05pm
post #19 of 19

I just don't like the texture of fondant on a cake. I think fondant-covered cakes are often so beautiful, and the taste of some of them are not bad at all, but I just can't get used to the slight chewiness of it (paired with the softness of the cake). I think maybe I would like it on a chewy kind of cake (like a fruitcake) or on cookies....

Sorry I'm no help. I just wanted to commiserate. Ha ha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%