Putting Down The Cake Club Ii

Lounge By springlakecake Updated 25 Apr 2011 , 12:56am by Otter

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:15pm
post #931 of 2128

Hey, I am back. Despite the accomdations, (we stayed in a cabin..not so clean) camping was fun. The kids had a good time and we did lots of things, swimming, canoeing, archery, treasure hunt, cookouts...Next time, we are just bringing the tent. I need a real VACATION next time though where I don't have to pack so much...including the kids LOL LOL!

Welcome to the group marilyn!

Otter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Otter Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:28pm
post #932 of 2128

Good afternoon!

Maryilyn, Welcome!

I have a new thought for today, but no real challenge.

Susan, I am getting very antsy, but we have to get hubby taken care of before we can think of moving. September cannot come too quickly for me.

Thought for the Day:

I have always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I have to be more specific.

- Lily Tomlin, actress

Getting specific about your goals

Are your goals detailed enough for you to reach them? We all have aspirations and we are better off for having made them. But if your goals are too vague or unstructured, you'll find that attaining them is difficult. Wanting to lose 30 pounds is a wonderful goal, but you need a plan to get you on the right track. These things don't happen overnight. Today, think about your goals and form a plan to achieve them. Write them down, chart your progress, refer to them as often as you need to stay on track, and most importantly, hold yourself accountable.

Tomorrow, I will have a challenge for us all and another thought for the day.

Karen

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:52pm
post #933 of 2128

PHEW man am I glad this weekend is OVER!
Started off Friday going to my cousin's 12th bday party (the one where I spent 20+ hours on her cake *in my photos*). Didn't even leave my aunts house until 10pm so my kids were EXHAUSTED but it was a BLAST it was a 80's dress up party. Then Saturday my kids were invited to a bday party at CEC we were there for 3 1/2 hours. Then had to wake up early for church yesterday and went to my parents house. Today I have spent the day TRYING to get order back in my house! OH and yesterday at some point my poor dog got sick and she is a pooping monster going 2x in the house which she NEVER does.... SO that has been fun to I tell you what!
I didn't work out this am went straight to cleaning but I plan on getting back in the grove after a whole week off tomorrow. Needless to say being a party weekend that it was my eating was HORRIBLE but I will get back on track!

Welcome Marilyn

Good thought of the day Karen!

welcome back Merissa - I don't do camping no tents for me ACK

cakemom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom1 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:37am
post #934 of 2128

Hey again, are you all following one weight loss program or are you doing your own thing? How many of you are there? How long have you been doing this together? One last ? for now, How well are each of you doing? Susan, I see the weight loss ticker says 35.5, that's great! How about the rest of you. That ticker meter looks pretty neat I may chack into that. It kinda keeps you accountable to everyone.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:00am
post #935 of 2128

Marilyn, our numbers change, but there are about 10 of us at the moment. We pretty much do our own thing, but try and also follow the challenge posted by our cheerleader. Susan is certainly doing the best so far, and 2sdae, who started this thread, lost heaps, although I can't remember how much. She is no longer with us. I lost 9 lb when I first joined, but have put it on again. I'm a bit hesitant getting a ticker, because it means everyone on the whole site will see it - I wouldn't mind if it was just you guys!

Connie, I can see why that cake took 20 hours!! Awesome job! How are your headaches??

Karen, that thought about setting goals is totally spot on for me! I really need to set daily goals, rather than just a long-term one!

The holiday sounded like it was full of excitement, Merissa! Glad you enjoyed it. Often we need a holiday to get over our holiday, though, don't we!!??!!

Well, I'm about to start cooking ready for cakes on the weekend. I was asked to look after my neice for the weekend again - the one that talks your ears off - so I thought I'd better get super organised before she arrives.

As for weight - well I'm going to try super hard to have a successful no-cheat Wednesday tomorrow.

Otter Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:02pm
post #936 of 2128

Morning all!

Hope everybody had a good Monday.

Connie, I don't care what the weekend was like, I just hate for it to end. No matter what the weekend was like, it goes without saying that the week is going to be worse for me. And to think that I used to think this was an ok job.

Marilyn, I have lost next to no weight, and to be honest have not looked at the scale for several months now, but I have lost about four sizes and have more energy than I did.

Today's challenge is to try something new. Mix it up a bit and get out of your rut.

Thought for the Day:

How many times have you tried â and failed â at a weight-loss program because it required you to give up the foods you love, eat the same meals every day, and stay stuck in a repetitive exercise program? As you might have figured out, deprivation and a lack of new experiences are downright boring and not the key to lasting weight loss. Donât choose ordinary when you can have extraordinary. Live life with a sense of purpose and adventure! Experiment with new foods and flavors; diet food doesnât have to be tasteless. Try new activities that challenge your body and your mind. Meet new people by signing up for a group fitness program. Look at yourself and the world in a whole new light. A healthy lifestyle doesnât have to be accomplished in one leap. Simple, small changes add up to a whole lot more over time, so be sure to seek out one new experience every day. It could be as simple as trying a new vegetable or buying a fitness magazine for the first time. The more you learn, the more your world will expand.

Have a great day!

Karen

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:53pm
post #937 of 2128

Hi All,
Been out for a few days, had a slip and fall (agian) while canning the other day. Water bath splashed on tile floor and before I knew it I was on the floor. DH calls me "Grace". I have described it as the Bambi on ice, you know when he tries to glide on ice with thumper. All fours sprawled out face down. I'm sure it would have made funniet home video, but twisted my leg and hip in way too many directions and havn't been able to put weight on it till today. Now I have to finish the canning, I think I'll have to break out the amore.
Anyway, Welcome Marilyn. I am a new kid here too. These ladies are wonderful inspiration, I'm sure you'll like it here.
Connie, I don't know how you get it all done. Sounds like your feeling a bit better thumbs_up.gif
Merrisa, you need a vacation from your vacation, lol.
Karen, love the tutorial on meditation. gonna give it a try. I always wondered what they were saying when you see people meditating on tv.

redhare Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:06pm
post #938 of 2128

Morning ladies....
My head ahhh that not so lovely subject they haven't really improved yet. I'm up to 30mg of the meds he gave me and in the morning the headaches are almost non existant but by lunch are back to normal. Not sure if I should take it as a sign the meds are helping or what. It is really starting to effect my mood having a constant headache for so long is really wearing me down. dh asked last night if I was going to be in a bad mood until they are gone - OOPS... I do well at hiding it until he's home but it's b/c I know he can take it I know that is bad but seriously...
I almost got my house all cleaned up yesterday not much to do today (when I do cakes my house gets distroyed b/c I'm not concentrating on keeping it up).
I am going to go and work out I only have 7/8 months until my husband bday bash and I need to tone up my legs and abs!!!

Karen, I understand about the weekend thing. Since I'm a stay at home mom though sometimes Mondays are good b/c the kids can get back to there schedule.
Marilyn, I'm not weighing myself - I don't even own a scale. I am just really trying to tone up my body I don't need to lose any weight just firm things up.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:18pm
post #939 of 2128

Hi long lost Michelle is back

sorry for the MIA status

My friend is not at home and doing so much better.

school is a .....well you get the picture.

My foot feels better, I still have not tried to put it into a shoe, thought I would wait until my next apt.

eating has been ok could be better

Welcome Marilyn you will love it here

Karen great job on cheerleader this week. Love the challenges and the thoughts! I will try to make a plan for me in between my studies.

OK gotta work, I know I missed things sorry guys!

redhare Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:13am
post #940 of 2128

welcome back Michelle - I'm so glad your foot is feeling better.

O M Goodness ladies I did CRUNCHES TODAY! You have no idea how AWESOME it was to be able to do that! With my back issue I can't do sit ups let alone crunches or anything like that - don't think I've ever explained that, I have a metal rod going up the entire length of my back making it where I can't arch my back in order to do things like a sit up (or slouching icon_biggrin.gif ). Well, my mom had bought me one of those exercising balls and I was able to do crunches on it! OMG I was SO happy to feel the burn on my abs let me tell you! SO I did the butt exercise that was posted on here from sparklepeople (forgot who posted it sorry) and did some crunches didn't feel like I did much today BUT felt awesome to know what a crunch felt like.
SO how long should I do crunches in order to see results (quicker), I'm getting tired of my dvd so I think I might change things up and do my dvd 2x a week then do the butt exercise and crunches 3x a week give myself a variety.
I'm so happy I culd do a lil dance! LOL icon_razz.gif

Susan123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan123 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:54am
post #941 of 2128

Hi All~
Boy, we sure have a lot of aches and pains, don't we? When my friends and I start talking about all our body issues in great detail, I always say...."Didn't we used to talk about men like this? In great detail?" Ahhh...getting older....what a joy! A job in and of itself!

I hope everyone is feeling better, Michelle, I'm glad you're foot is healing. Marilyn, I think 2sdae started this group in December 2006, so we're almost 2 years old...I've been around since Sept 2007, so there are others who have more of the history than I do. We each kind of do our own thing, we come here to chat, commiserate, and offer support and ideas.

I lost 1/2 pound this week...I've learned to be OK with my "turtling". This is your No Cheat Wednesday. For you newbies, Wednesday is the day we do a "No Cheat" challenge because we usually weigh in (and report if you want to) on Thursdays. You decide what "No Cheat" means to you...I think for Michelle, at one time it was not eating M&Ms, right Michelle? So whatever works. My no cheat day is Tuesday because I have dinner out with friends every Wednesday. Wednesday morning (waaaay before dinner food is consumed!) is my weigh in. Have a great day everyone!

Otter Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:56am
post #942 of 2128

Good morning, everybody!

Hope everybody is geared up for a great no cheat day. My no cheat is to eat breakfast. Has not been happening for me for a long time. I just find that there is never enough time in the mornings before I leave.

Your challenge today is to have a great no cheat day. I will post a "thought for the day" a little later.

See you all later!

Karen

scgriffiths Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:08pm
post #943 of 2128

Wow, a rod up your entire back, Connie!!??!! That's unbelievable! As for crunches, when I go to gym we do 80 - 100 each time. (usually 3 different types of crunches for variety, though) Your back may be able to cope with squirms, which are laying flat on your back, with your feet flat on the floor up close to your butt, and reach down to the right, then the left, to touch your shoes, and keep alternating sides. Your shoulders should be rubbing on the floor while you're doing it, and make your abs do the work.

Alaina, sorry about your fall. Hope you don't have too many bruises!

Lori, you're our cheerleader this week - are you still around????

Karate Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:44pm
post #944 of 2128

Good morning all.

I spoke too soon about my toe, it seems to have taken a step (no pun intended) back and it hurts today when I walk. I think I will sit at my desk today.

I forgot my school work at home so I have to creative in order to get some of that done today as well.

Connie, just a thought, could that rod be the reason for the head aches? Perhaps a nerve slipped under or around it???? Im not in the medical field and perhaps that is just not possible but just a thought.

I still have not done any kind of work out, I am now just too plain lazy to get up early. I will have to change that....on Monday. Boy that slope is very slippery when we start down huh!!!

Yep Susan you are right at one time I had m&m's everyday, but I have kicked that habit. I also kicked my olive habit, and on the way to kicking the pickle habit. I am so happy.

My no cheat today will be no extra nibbling today, I can do this, I will have my water at my finger tips and drink that first then wait for 10 min before putting something in my mouth.

Ok gotta run and do a bit of work before I figure out how to do school work without my material!!!

Michelle

Otter Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:49pm
post #945 of 2128

I'm back.

Your thought for today involves relaxing. We all seem to be running around constantly and not getting in any R&R. Even on those "vacations," Merissa!

Thought for the day:

One of the most crucial aspects of a well-designed fitness plan is rest. Not only does it help your muscles recover from your workout, relaxation also gives your mind a much-needed break. When you relax, you turn on your parasympathetic nervous system (PNS). This nervous system is the opposite of the sympathetic nervous system (SNS), which governs your actions during the typical week. All too often we spend most of the work week in a state of agitation, with our fight-or-flight response â a function of the SNS â in full-on battle mode. You must turn off your SNS and turn on your PNS from time to time. If you donât, youâre headed for burnout. Youâll feel irritable and fatigued. And when youâre tired, you wonât want to exercise. So in a whacky way, allowing yourself periods of rest will actually help you stick to your workouts. You may feel guilty relaxing at first, but when such thoughts pop into your head, just use the oops technique you learned earlier. Say âoopsâ out loud, and then return to lounging in your hammock.

Have a great day, all!

Karen

redhare Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:04pm
post #946 of 2128

Michelle, my mom had the same thought and had me ask the neurologist about it. He doesn't seem to think that it's related so it was a legit question/concern. I've had my rod in my back for 14 years now so that may be why he doesn't think that it's my back.

S- I've never heard of that exercise before, I'll give it a try today...

No cheat day for me means no ice cream I'm SO easily tempted w/ ice cream. Normally dh and I will have some ice cream after we put the kids to bed at night - so not only am I eating ice cream I'm eating it at like 8:30 at night icon_redface.gif

Karate Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:15pm
post #947 of 2128

I have limited myself to one teaspoon. That is enough to cool me off and give me a taste and treat. I started this last night. I wanted some but since I have not been working out I didnt want a lot. that little teaspoon was just enough!

cakemom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom1 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm
post #948 of 2128

I think I'll get the hang of this eventually! I am taking in everyones replies, I will weigh myself in the morning before I go to work, and I'll get started from there. Gotta go, I have a 1st birthday cake to do tonight.

springlakecake Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:25pm
post #949 of 2128

good morning. congrats on another 1/2 pound susan! I suspect that losing weight slowly, but consistenly has better long term results than losing a bunch at once. You have trained yourself into a healthier lifestyle that way...rather than a crash diet. Now who doesnt like to lose a bunch quickly...I know.

I have been really good the last couple of days. I know i just need to force myself back into the program for a few days and then it will get easier. My DH and I are talking about a trip to FL for a couple of days. We could get free airline tickets and my parents have a condo so we'd just need to pay for a car and food! So it's another push to try and lose a little weight before we go. I know, I have said that before icon_redface.gif

Susan123 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:58pm
post #950 of 2128

Oh Merissa, I hope you get to go! Now, THAT sounds like a vacation!!

Michelle, stay off your foot, it will heal quickly...it's hard, I know, but it's probably best.

Connie, any relief? I hope so, I don't know how you do it.

OK, I actually have a cake related question. I'm strictly a hobby baker and hardly ever work with fondant, but I'm trying it more and more. I've never taken any classes and there's probably an easy answer to this, but this is what I can't figure out: when I roll out the fondant, I use a Wilton mat and put corn starch so it doesn't stick. BUT...it seems if I put too little, it sticks. If I put enough so it doesn't stick, the cornstarch gets on the fondant and then I get crummy looking fondant with white cornstarch in it that's hard to brush off. For you fondant experts...can you give me some guidance? What's the answer? Thank you!

And, I've been wearing a pedometer for about 2 months with the goal of 10,000 steps a day, which I usually only reach about 1/3 of the time. But I signed up for a team challenge for 3 weeks on Sparkpeople which started Monday and I've reached 10,000 a day since. But yesterday, I walked 14,005 steps, a record for me. I can't believe it! I went for a little walk at lunchtime and then walked downtown (I live on the edge of downtown) to meet my Wednesday night crew for dinner. I'm encouraged! Even though I was up 2 pounds this morning...

Karate Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:34pm
post #951 of 2128

Good morning everyone.

I got on the scale this morning and was suprised to see that I have not gained!!! That is something at least.

Susan great job on the 1/2 pound!! When I use fondant I also get the corn starch on the outside. I just use like a soft bristle brush to get most of it off. It usually works for me pretty good. You may want to use just a little less, there is a fineline. What ever you do dont use water.

Merissa, go to FL and relax!

Michelle

springlakecake Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:50pm
post #952 of 2128

Well I gotta say that the wilton mat *stinks*. I really love my ateco fondant work mat that is silicone. But if you are just doing this for a hobby I understand. They cost about $35. I generally dont put anything on it to keep the fondant from sticking. When I use colored fondant, it is stickier so I acutally knead some cornstarch right into the fondant and I also do add some to the mat. Not a ton though and it usually wipes right off. But before when I was using the wilton mat I used crisco on it instead.

What kind of fondant are you using also? If you are making it from scratch part of the problem could also be that your consistency is too sticky.

Karate Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm
post #953 of 2128

I so want a silicone mat, but I too am just a hobby cake baker. I used to use crisco, but found that when I went to smooth it out using the fondant smoothers, they would stick and not move easily across the fondant. I stopped using crisco and went back to a mix of corn startch and powdered sugar.

redhare Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:03pm
post #954 of 2128

I have the wilton mat and use crisco but I have found that the fondant smoother is useless to me b/c it doesn't work like I see it working for others probably b/c of the crisco but I had tried pwd sugar/corn starch and I had the same problem w/ powder that I couldn't get off my fondant.

Susan - hate to disappoint but no not any relief. Yesterday wasn't a good day at all! I was waiting up for dh to get home and when he did at 1 am my headache was just beyond bad I was feeling nauseauted b/c of the pain and running a mild (VERY mild) fever. DH made me take some pain meds I resisted b/c well it doesn't work butI did it to please dh. He is so worried its nice to see him trying to take care of me instead of the other way around. Today my head still hurts really bad but alas I can't lay in bed all day although my kids did let me "sleep" until 9:20 this am which is LATE for us.
I don't know what to do anymore my parents are bugging me to call the neurologist b/c the meds aren't working, but I had suspected from the get go that the meds wouldn't work until full strength. I start w/ 40 mg tonight then next week go to 50 and that's when I stop so I really think I should give the higher dosages a chance. I'm not trying to be stubborn just wanted to do what the doctor asked of me. Plus I am trying to prepare myself for the pain of the MRI that I am realizing is enivietable (sp?)

OK enough whining from me. Obviously I didn't work out yesterday and today isn't looking to good either but I don't want to skip to many days or I won't start back up again.

tktexasgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tktexasgirl Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:48pm
post #955 of 2128

I have been reading the replies in this forum and it looks like yall really support each other. If I could join yall I would greatly appreciate it. I have been trying for so long to loose weight. I used to be thin, 130lbs, and now I am scared I will stroke out if I don't get the weight off. Thank you for listening and I hope to speak with yall more.

God Bless

scgriffiths Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:14pm
post #956 of 2128

Wow! Cake talk - that's new! I don't use a silicone mat. I just use corn flour (corn starch) underneath my fondant (usually none or just a sprinkling on top) and lift with my hands to place on the cake, so it's the right side up.

Welcome pdgirl!! Yeah, we're like family here! Hope we can encourage and inspire you in some way!

I didn't weigh again. I'm putting it off because I haven't been exercising icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I don't know why, I guess because it's winter here and the weather hasn't been the best, but I know that's no excuse. I still go to gym every Tuesday, because I have a weekly appointment, but that's all I'm doing. I MUST get my butt into gear and get out for my walks again. That's my goal for this week.

springlakecake Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:17pm
post #957 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhare

I have the wilton mat and use crisco but I have found that the fondant smoother is useless to me b/c it doesn't work like I see it working for others probably b/c of the crisco but I had tried pwd sugar/corn starch and I had the same problem w/ powder that I couldn't get off my fondant.

Do you flip the whole mat onto the cake? so that the bottom side of the fondant is now on the outside? If so try getting a long rolling pin and roll the fondant up onto it, then you can just lay the fondant on the cake. So the bottom of the fondant is touching the cake. KWIM? The outside shoudl still be mostly crisco/cornstarch free.

welcome pdgirl! Name? we kind of go by first names here if you are comfortable.

Karate Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:42pm
post #958 of 2128

Oh Merissa I forgot about rolling it on the pin to put on cake.

Sonia I have tried to pick up fondant but I always put my fingers through it.

Welcome pdgirl, we all support and give the occasional butt kicking!!

Michelle

tktexasgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tktexasgirl Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:26pm
post #959 of 2128

Thanks for the welcome. I am doing weight watchers and i have an appt tomorrow at the gym with a trainer icon_cry.gif not looking forward to that. But I know I need it. My weigh in day is on Mondays. I am so exicted about getting to make new friends and have support.

Susan123 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:35am
post #960 of 2128

Welcome PDGirl, what's your name? If it's any consolation, I started this lifestyle in January at 242.5...so I can relate. I still have a lo-o-ong way to go, but be encouraged, because you can do it!

Wow, everyone, thanks for the cake talk! I'm so unsophisticated when it comes to decorating, I hadn't even heard of the crisco solution. I tried it last night and I think it was better than the cornstarch, but I eventually dug into that when my little cut out flowers were all being ruined because they kept sticking. So hobby baker or not, I'm going for the Ateco mat, thanks Merissa. What's the point of even doing it as a hobby if it doesn't look nice and it's so frustrating? I'm going to order one today.

Not much else going on, Connie, I just feel so bad for you. I hope somebody figures out soon what's going on. I say pull in the big guns, try everything, Eastern medicine (massage, acupuncture, yoga, changing your diet) and Western, (medication, MRIs, etc).

I happy to report I've done more than 10,000 steps everyday this week. So I'm encouraged about keeping it up. Have a great weekend!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%