Finding Qualified Employees

Business By CakeryBakery Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 2:40am by CakeryBakery

CakeryBakery Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:21am
post #1 of 8

Where does everyone find their qualified bakery employees? I pay well but I'm having a difficult time finding qualified employees...I'm located in Central Pennsylvania. My biggest issue is finding someone that can torte and properly ice a cake, the rest can easily be taught.

7 replies
MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:32am
post #2 of 8

Maybe advertise your openings at the local Wilton classes? I would think anyone having completed all 3 levels would be able to fill your needs. Don't forget the enthusiastic hobby baker too - I've never had a cake decorating lesson in my life, but I can certainly torte and ice a cake properly. Apart from that, I guess culinary schools would be the place to look?!

indydebi Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 8

I was also going to suggest culinary schools, but also your local Tech schools, who offer a culinary program. You might be able to work out an intern-type deal.

My local high school also has a culinary program.

CelebrationsbyLori Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 8

The best employee I have I trained completely from scratch. She is a great worker and has a wonderful personality for dealing with customers, she just had never really done any baking or decorating before. I let her go through all the Wilton classes first just to get familiar with all the products, etc. Then I let her do "practice" cakes every so often just to start to learn the basics. She now bakes all my cut-out cookies and some cakes. She is learning on icing, etc., but can do simple stuff for the fresh case and is a willing spirit which is half the battle! She can make all the icing too, which saves a ton of time! Considering I work with her 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week, her personality is as important as anything, we have to be able to get along!
Good Luck!
-Lori

Mommaskip Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 8

cakerybakery what part of pa are you in? im in berks county maybe i can refer people to you. if your close i would love to helpicon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 8

Will my pay include gas from Detroit? icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

misserica Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 8

Where in "central pa", I am dying to work in a bakery/cakery since I am new to this but there are really not too many around me. I am in central jersey, about 10 minutes east of PA.

CakeryBakery Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:40am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone for the responses

We're located in Harrisburg Pa. Already did the intern/extern thing. Got one good one, and one ok one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%