Help !!! How Do I Make Black Fondant???

Decorating By Rochelle1 Updated 16 Mar 2008 , 8:37pm by ZAKIA6

Rochelle1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle1 Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 18

I need to make black fondant icing for a cake. I have tried making black with buttercream already but it weeps when i store the cakes in the refrigerator for travelling.

I would not be doing that to the fondant covered cake but I am concern if I will be able to catch the colour.

Thanks for your help CC's
Rochelle

17 replies
notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 5:47am
post #2 of 18

You say you want to know how to make black fondant but that you colored buttercream black, but that it "weeps" icon_confused.gif then you say you won'tbe doing that to the fondant so what do you need to make, I'm confused.
The best way I have read to make black fondant is by starting with chocolate fondant then slowing adding black when is a deep gray let it sit an hour or so, see how much darker it gets until you get it black enough not too black to avoid the bitter taste. Do the same thing for buttercream but to keep dark colors from bleeding into lighter colors of buttercream I add corn starch to my buttercream, it worked perfect on a clown cake I made with dark primary colors when the base of my cake was pale yellow . Good Luck

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 6:04am
post #3 of 18

When I make black fondant, I just paint it... I mix a little icing color with vodka, then paint it on wherever I need it. This works best when there's a LARGE area to cover. If you look at my pictures, I've done a killer whale and a penguin cake, both of which take a lot of black. It uses less color, and you get kind of a glossy effect when it dries!

Of course, that depends on what you're GOING for, but just thought I'd throw another idea in there!

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 6:04am
post #4 of 18

I think Rochelle means that she will not be putting the fondant cake in the refrigerator like she did with the buttercream cake. Anyway....try the Americolor black food coloring - it's amazing! Only a few drops are needed to get a pure black. (this does not work with most brands of black color, only the Americolor brand). Good luck!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 6:09am
post #5 of 18

I usually buy the Satin Ice black so I have never had to do this. BUT, I would agree with AZCakegirl that the Americolor colors are AWESOME...a little goes a long way! If you can get your hands on some, I think it would probably be the best way to go!! Good luck!

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 6:24am
post #6 of 18

This is how I make my black fondant.
http://www.gefjonsdottir.com/blackfondanttut.php

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 6:29am
post #7 of 18

I like Chefmaster and Americolor..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 7:52am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAQUEEN

This is how I make my black fondant.
http://www.gefjonsdottir.com/blackfondanttut.php

I have a black cake coming up - I will try this! I also wanted to say that your work is amazing - your cakes look like pieces of fine china, so detailed and beautiful!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 18

A good friend (Alicegop) told me to add cocoa powder before adding PS so that (1) you are starting with an already dark color and (2) it helps blend the black more smoothly.

I recently had to make a large of black to cover a grand piano cake (still working on it). I had some black SI but not enough so I kneaded it together with red SI and then started kneading in black. I used Americolor and it did take a lot.

When I tried to get in on the cake (28x36!) it tore easily and developed elephant skin, so I quickly peeled it off, panicked for a few minutes, and then it dawned on me to try adding glycerine for pliability since that what I add to my MMF. I've never tried kneading it into SI - it worked amazingly well! I got the cake covered and patted myself on the back.

Later, I covered the lid for the piano but again I centered it wrong and had to peel it off. This time it was stuck down with a bunch of piping gel. When I re-kneaded that sticky mess (it actually wasn't too bad) it seemd to have even better pliability. Now I am dying to try adding piping gel to my MMF to see if it really does do a better job with pliability.

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 18

I have a black cake coming up - I will try this! I also wanted to say that your work is amazing - your cakes look like pieces of fine china, so detailed and beautiful![/quote]
icon_redface.gif Thank you bonjovibabe icon_smile.gif . I'm still learning.Your work is amazing

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 18

I belive that Satin Ice makes a black fondant.

Rochelle1 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 7:16pm
post #12 of 18

Will Wilton super black work in my made from scratch Fondant?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:11pm
post #13 of 18

Yes, but add cocoa powder to help it along.

CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 9:30pm
post #14 of 18

If you want a true black buy the Satin Ice Black.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 11:14pm
post #15 of 18

i've made black fondant a few times ( i use toba's recipe)
i add the food coloring (about 2-3 tablespoons) to the liquid mixture before i add the powdered sugar.
make sure to let it rest, at least overnight.

Rochelle1 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 9:35am
post #16 of 18

The posts helped. Sitting it down afterwards work quite well infact.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 10:23am
post #17 of 18

When I need black fondant, I take all my scrap colors and mix them all together, then add americolor super black. I've had great success getting a good black this way and it uses up all the pieces. I'm always glad to do a black when my "left over bucket" is getting full.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 8:37pm
post #18 of 18

that is a great idea!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%